cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

QoS - call signal in LLQ?

CSCO10662744_2
Level 1
Level 1

Most of the design guides I've read recommend marking call signals as CS3/AF31, and putting them in their own queue.
If there is congestion, wouldn't all the non-priority queues be impacted, including the call signals?

The call signals are pretty lightweight, are they not?
Are there any drawbacks if I were to put them in the LLQ/priority queue?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

If there is congestion, wouldn't all the non-priority queues be impacted, including the call signals?

Yes, they would likely all be impacted, but if signally is in its own queue, you can priorize it such that you manage the impact.

That's my experience, they are often more "robust" as they often use TCP too.

Well, you expose your other LLQ traffic to additional jitter and latency, as the signally packets interleave with what's already in the LLQ.  That said, I've done it, and usually without adverse impact.

I've also placed signally with my other BE traffic when using FQ.  I've also placed signally into a HiPrioity queue that's not LLQ, which I believe is also ideal when that queue also supports FQ.

PS:

My general router policy:

policy-map GeneralExample

class LLQ

priority percent 33

class Foreground

bandwidth remaining percent 89

fair-queue

class Background

bandwidth remaining percent 1

fair-queue

class class-default

bandwidth remaining percent 9

fair-queue

(In the above, I would drop signalling into the Foreground class.)

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Yes, they would likely all be impacted, but if signally is in its own queue, you can priorize it such that you manage the impact.

That's my experience, they are often more "robust" as they often use TCP too.

Well, you expose your other LLQ traffic to additional jitter and latency, as the signally packets interleave with what's already in the LLQ.  That said, I've done it, and usually without adverse impact.

I've also placed signally with my other BE traffic when using FQ.  I've also placed signally into a HiPrioity queue that's not LLQ, which I believe is also ideal when that queue also supports FQ.

PS:

My general router policy:

policy-map GeneralExample

class LLQ

priority percent 33

class Foreground

bandwidth remaining percent 89

fair-queue

class Background

bandwidth remaining percent 1

fair-queue

class class-default

bandwidth remaining percent 9

fair-queue

(In the above, I would drop signalling into the Foreground class.)

Thank you Joseph, for the reply & explanation.
I too, have placed call signals in either LLQ, or a regular queue, and seen success in both cases.
Was just looking for other people's opinions on if one way's better than the other, and why.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card