Views
Helpful
Replies

QOS in infrastructure networks

R Manjunatha
Level 3
Level 3

Hi

I have a 150 Mbps internet bandwidth and 50 users are allocated dedicated bandwidth of 50 Mbps, another 50 users 60 Mbps and the rest of the non-dedicated users will use 40 Mbps, what would be the configuration?

Is that we can do the configuration in the core router, distributed router, or firewall?

RManjunatha_0-1668345937209.png

15 Replies 15

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

This is just to give direction how you can do ( this is guidance only) - change the IP subnets 

access-list 100 permit ip any 192.168.10.0 x.x.x.x
access-list 110 permit ip any 192.168.20.0 x.x.x.x
access-list 120 permit ip any 192.168.30.0 x.x.x.x

class-map User60MB
match access-group 100

class-map User50MB
match access-group 110

class-map User40MB
match access-group 120

policy-map AllUsers
class-map User60MB
  bandwidth percent 40
class-map User50MB
  bandwidth percent 33
class-map User40MB
  bandwidth percent 27
exit

policy-map total-bandwidth
class class-default
  police 150000000 conform-action transmit exceed-action drop
  service-policy AllUsers
exit

interace Gig x/x
service-policy output total-bandwidth

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

BTW, what @balaji.bandi suggests, won't work as desired.  If needs to be slightly modified:

policy-map total-bandwidth
class class-default
police 150000000 conform-action transmit exceed-action drop !policer drops - will not push traffic down to child policy
shape average 150000000
service-policy AllUsers
exit

Further, the above would only be effective for traffic to the Internet, not from the Internet (as the latter will not exceed 150 Mbps).

Also applying policy AllUsers might throw an error as no bandwidth was left for class-default (I recall [?] class-default wants at least 1%).  To correct, you could use default class in lieu of one of the User classes.

You might also use a single policy with policers or shapers per user class:

policy-map AllUsers
class-map User60MB
<police or shape average> 60000000
class-map User50MB
<police or shape average> 50000000
class-map User40MB
<police or shape average> 40000000
exit

The above would work for to the Internet or (sort of) from the Internet.  BTW, if using shapers, policy must be an "out" policy.

(sort of) - traffic from the Internet can be limited to what users will receive, but not as much control over actual bandwidth usage across the Internet link to you.  This because, your controlling policy, for Internet ingress traffic, is downstream of the Internet link.

@Joseph W. Doherty - appreciate and thank you for the correction, after I looked closely you are right..and good catch..cheers!

Sure if you calculate the total of over 150MB nearby 1% free..so that was my advice.

BB

@balaji.bandi, sorry, I'm confused by "Sure if you calculate the total of over 150MB nearby 1% free..so that was my advice."

Perhaps I was unclear too . . .

policy-map AllUsers
class-map User60MB
  bandwidth percent 40
class-map User50MB
  bandwidth percent 33
class-map User40MB
  bandwidth percent 27
exit

40 + 33 + 27 = 100%, correct?  If so, I recall (?) you cannot allocate more than 99% for aggregate of all the non-class-default classes.  The overall bandwidth doesn't matter, i.e. the 150 Mbps.

yep it was my typo (another one in this post), when I did my calculation it supposes to be the last one "bandwidth percent 26"

sure agreed with your calculation.

BB

Ah, ok, thanks.

BTW, if you did use class-default as one of the user classes, then you would be able to allocate as you did.

Okey is this configuration in the core router? 

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As your diagram shows four connections to the Internet, is the 150 Mbps for each, or an aggregate of all four connections?

For the multiple connections, the user class limits are also per link or aggregate for all four connections?

If I talk about a single ISP its aggregates to a 150 Mbps link 

Again your diagram shows two ISPs, each with two connections.  So how, exactly, is the 150 Mbps divided across ISPs and/or those links?

as shown in the diagram.

RManjunatha_0-1668495515331.png

Ok, so to confirm, 75 Mbps per link, 150 Mbps (aggregate) per ISP and 300 Mbps (aggregate) for all Internet traffic, correct?

If correct, how do you want to control bandwidth allocations, per link, per ISP or all Internet?

per ISP 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card