Views
Helpful
Replies

QoS on egress traffic

Nirmal Singh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I having some doubts on whether QoS will be applied to egress traffic. Here's my scenario

Voice GW --->Core Sw-->WAN provider router

If calls are coming through to the Voice GW to say a Lync client, the traffic will be marked as dscp ef on the Voice GW and routed to the Core Switch. The Core Switch interface that's connected to the Voice GW is configured as mls qos trust dscp to trust whatever dscp marking on it.

The traffic is then routed out to the WAN provider router which then honours the marking and sets a bandwidth priority depending on the kind of dscp value.

My question is, do I need to configure any QoS on the interface on the Core Switch that's connecting to the WAN router for this egress packets?

Btw, the egress interface to WAN is a L3 routed interface whereas the interface on the Core Sw to the Voice GW is a L2 interface.

Please help

2 Replies 2

The quick answer is yes but what you configure depends on the platform.  What is this 'core' switch?  If its a 3560 or 3750 then all you can achieve is egress queueing where you would typically enable egress expedite queueing  and map DSCP EF to this queue.  If its a 6500 with Sup720 then you can enable the same behaviour but you could also apply an egress QoS service policy (something you can't do on a 3560/3750).

Andy

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage

Posting

My question is, do I need to configure any QoS on the interface on the Core Switch that's connecting to the WAN router for this egress packets?

It depends on whether this egress interface congests (i.e. packets queued for transmission) and whether such congestion, if any, delays packets enough that the network application's service requirements are not being met.  (NB: on high capacity/bandwidth links, queue drops might be a problem before actual queue delay.)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card