Views
Helpful
Replies

qos on interface to wan - policing

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi all

I have a 2 meg line to my HQ from a remote site, I have 3 servers that are utilising the full bandwidth of the connection,

I am going to police these to 1 Meg, and a small burst,

however I dont want the servers to be dropping too much traffic,

would it be benifical to configure WRED on the interface?

whats the best config i should use here ?

cheers

3 Replies 3

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The    Author of this posting offers the information contained within this    posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that    there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any  purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and  should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind.  Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In    no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever  (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or  profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's  information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such  damage.

Posting

I would suggest best config would more use some form of prioritization sharing rather than policing or WRED.  This assuming this is why you're concerned with your 3 servers using full bandwidth.

If the platform supports it, FQ would be a good place to start.

Hi

I don't want to prioritise any traffic just police the ones that consume too much bandwidth, am I doing the right thing ?

Hi Carl,

I would suggest looking at traffic shaping as opposed to policing on that interface. With policing you drop excess packets that exceed the commitment rate. With traffic shaping however, you buffer the packets in excess of the commitment rate. This essentially smooths traffic and controls bursts. Traffic shaping can introduce additional delay due to the buffering nature, however from the discription of the task, that doesn't sound like it would be an issue.

HTH

Anthony

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card