cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

QoS(quality of Service) On Two Sg300 28p manage switches.

Micco
Level 1
Level 1

Can QoS is possible in 2 manage switch to 4 unmanaged switches (daisy-chaining) and in the last switch is a managed switch. Im having a hard time because of the setup it's too far and I only have this 2 Manage switch(Sg300 28p) switch and 4 unmanaged switches.

Example of the setup:

qos.png

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Unsure what relationship you believe there's between QoS and IGMP; and your original question.

If you're asking about IGMP unrelated to QoS, you should really post new. That said, to your question will it work, depends on how you define "work". IGMP is used by hosts to notify routers that they want a multicast stream that's not local to their network. This assumes you have multicast routing. It's also, on some more capable switches, used to avoid flooding multicast to ports that don't desire it. The latter is known as IGMP snooping. Some switches can support the latter wtihout a multicast router.

It's likely your "dumb" switches would not support IGMP snooping. I don't know about the SG300s.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Hello,

in your picture, the unmanaged swithes are 2960 switches, what brand/model are the switches in your real network ? In order to provide end to end QoS, the unmanaged switches must at the very least not alter any ingress or egress values you configure, and/or trust the values received...

It's TP-Link TL-SF1024D 24-Port Fast Ethernet Unmanaged.

Hello,

I have looked at the manual for this model, it seems like there is nothing you can configure QoS wise, so my guess is it will just forward all traffic and leave any QoS markings untouched. So as long as there is a QoS aware switch at both ends, what you have in mind should work.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Answer depends on what kind of QoS you're providing. If you're doing end-to-end QoS, the answers is no because you cannot have any QoS policy on your unmanaged switches. If you're doing per-hop QoS, the answer is yes (actually it's more of a maybe) because some of your switches support QoS features.

Georg mentions that your unmanaged switches must not alter ingress/egress values and/or trust them. Well, that's not 100% true. Each hop, assuming it has QoS features can pretty much do whatever it wants concerning QoS either dependent on upstream devices, or not dependent on them, or somewhat dependent on them. Things like ToS tags are really for efficiency (so that the current device might avoid resource intensive [re]analysis). That said, understand analysis features also vary between devices, so one device might be unable to analyze the same as another, which is another advantage of having something like ToS values you can "trust".

What if I use IGMP in this setup will it work? end manage switch is connected with IP cameras.

Unsure what relationship you believe there's between QoS and IGMP; and your original question.

If you're asking about IGMP unrelated to QoS, you should really post new. That said, to your question will it work, depends on how you define "work". IGMP is used by hosts to notify routers that they want a multicast stream that's not local to their network. This assumes you have multicast routing. It's also, on some more capable switches, used to avoid flooding multicast to ports that don't desire it. The latter is known as IGMP snooping. Some switches can support the latter wtihout a multicast router.

It's likely your "dumb" switches would not support IGMP snooping. I don't know about the SG300s.

SG300s has IGMP snooping btw. thank you very much, maybe i just need to upgrade my dumb switch to manage switch.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card