cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

QOS Setup

Andy Guley
Level 1
Level 1

I am setting up QOS for Vmware View.  I have everything setup on my core switch that the View environment directly plugs into.  Do I need to put the same config on all of my closet switches as well.  Or will the tag stay on the traffic as it travels through the network.

If I have to put the same setup on all the closet switches do I need to put the QOS on individual ports or is putting it on the trunk ports enough?

Thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Answer is an "it depends".

Many Cisco switches have QoS disabled by default.  When so disabled, they generally pass marked packets "as is".  However, many, when QoS enabled, will set ToS/CoS to zero unless configured to do otherwise.

Regarding whether you need the same QoS setup on all devices, that's another "it depends".  "Book" answer is you configure QoS, to meet your goals, end-to-end.  Insuring your QoS goals are met, end-to-end, though, doesn't always require identical QoS configurations or sometimes even a QoS configuration.

View solution in original post

jj27
Spotlight
Spotlight

You should only have to mark the traffic once, at the source port.  Assuming you have QoS enabled with the correct CoS/DSCP mappings in the general section of the configuration on the other switches, your trunked links should have the command mls qos trust dscp.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Answer is an "it depends".

Many Cisco switches have QoS disabled by default.  When so disabled, they generally pass marked packets "as is".  However, many, when QoS enabled, will set ToS/CoS to zero unless configured to do otherwise.

Regarding whether you need the same QoS setup on all devices, that's another "it depends".  "Book" answer is you configure QoS, to meet your goals, end-to-end.  Insuring your QoS goals are met, end-to-end, though, doesn't always require identical QoS configurations or sometimes even a QoS configuration.

jj27
Spotlight
Spotlight

You should only have to mark the traffic once, at the source port.  Assuming you have QoS enabled with the correct CoS/DSCP mappings in the general section of the configuration on the other switches, your trunked links should have the command mls qos trust dscp.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card