cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

QOS Videoconferencing HELP! (easy)

jesusccnp
Level 1
Level 1

I have cisco router 1900, the router has two operating interfaces g0/0 (connected to wan), g0/1 (connected to lan). We have around 50 mb of bandwidth from our ISP but during peak hours we experience drops outs due to other users and guests network activity and

I need some  Video Broadcasts Devices to be prioritized for videoconferencing. Here is the following code i  made for that, i need it to be reviewed please.

enable
copy r s

configure terminal
access-list 1 permit 192.168.0.224 0.0.0.31
class-map video
match access-group 1
exit
policy-map video-police
class video
set dscp af41
bandwidth percent 25
class class-default
fair-queue
exit
int g0/0
service-policy output video-police
do show policy-map

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

nixpengu1n
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I would consider this:

1. Classify traffic based on port and protocol rather than on a standard ACL; in your case all the traffic from specific subnet will be prioritized no matter if it is video or not

2. I am not sure what congestion management mechanism you want to use. If video is a business critical and should get through in an event of congestion (and traffic amount is less than 25% of total bandwidth) - use LLQ. If not - consider to use CBWFQ and WRED for other traffic you have to avoid congestion and TCP global synchronization for all traffic

Hope this will help.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

nixpengu1n
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I would consider this:

1. Classify traffic based on port and protocol rather than on a standard ACL; in your case all the traffic from specific subnet will be prioritized no matter if it is video or not

2. I am not sure what congestion management mechanism you want to use. If video is a business critical and should get through in an event of congestion (and traffic amount is less than 25% of total bandwidth) - use LLQ. If not - consider to use CBWFQ and WRED for other traffic you have to avoid congestion and TCP global synchronization for all traffic

Hope this will help.

Hi, nixpengu1n

Thank you for your reply. 

1. It´s true, i will need to see which ports are using  the videoconferences.

2. You are right, video is a business critical and should get through in an event of congestion.

So should i use the priority command instead of the bandwidth command?

What value do you recommend me for video? here is the new code

enable
copy r s

configure terminal
access-list 1 permit 192.168.0.224 0.0.0.31
class-map video
match access-group 1
exit
policy-map video-police
class video
set dscp af41
priority 50
class class-default
fair-queue
exit
int g0/0
service-policy output video-police
do show policy-map

Thanks.

Hello,

Based on router architecture and Cisco best practices you should not use more that 25% of your interface bandwidth for LLQ. So based on your requirements I would recommend to calculate what bandwidth you really need for video and then either use LLQ (it is is lower that 25% of your interface bandwidth) or consider CBWFQ with WRED for all traffic (or even shaping or policing if necessary).

But what you can do for now - use 25% for LLQ for your video and see will it suffer or not. If not and everyone is happy - your problem is sorted. If not - investigate further.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card