Views
Helpful
Replies

QOS with Citrix and IP Phone

psaravanan
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Friends,

In our network, we are using Citrix based VDI infrastructure. Citrix and VDI servers are in another location and we are connecting through MPLS link.

I sniffed the Citrix packets in LAN and found that communication between Citrix server and local system through https (secure layer) not ICA media stream. How can we implement QOS for the scenario. We have Avaya IP Phones as well.

I searched in forums and I am get any proper inputs for the QOS implementation.

Citrix traffic flow:

MPLS CE router----------> Core switch --------> Access switches

I planned to mark the Citrix server IP with https as COS value 3 on Core switch and Priority the COS 3 to all access switches.

IP Phone traffic flow:

AVAYA PBX -------> ASA 5510 --------> Core switch ------> Access switches ---------> IP Phone

In core and access switch, we can priority the COS 5 (EF) and mark all the IP phone switch port as trusted COS port.

I have one doubt on ASA part, how can we classify the Voice traffic on firewall and priority the traffic.

Is there any other way to implement QOS on Citrix based environment.

Otherwise, can I priority the Voice and Citrix traffic as COS 5.

Kindly suggest the valuable solution. I am in Intermediate level to implement the QOS.

Thanks in Advance.

3 Replies 3

siddhartham
Level 4
Level 4

QoS is a end to end configuration, you have to mark the packets when they are leaving the router at your location (MPLS CE router ) and the router at remote location, all the service provider routers in between should respect those markings.

Acc to Cisco voice packets should be marked with the following values (L2 audio-5, L2 signaling-3, L3 audio-46 and L3 signaling- 26) , you can use auto QoS for LAN and configure the switch ports with either trust COS or trust DSCP values.

On the router you can create a class-map for the traffic-  below is the example.

class-map match-any voice

match dscp ef ( or match cos 5 )

class-map match-any signaling

match dscp af41

match dscp af31

class-map match-any data

match protocol citrix

You can then assign the markings based on your requirements and selected service provider's QoS profile- below is the example

policy-map qos

class voice

priority percent 30 (you can use priority bandwidth command also-Priority command will create a LLQ for voice traffic)

set ip dscp ef

class data

set ip dscp af21

bandwidth remaining percent 60

class signaling

set ip dscp af31

bandwidth remaining percent 30

class class-default

set ip dscp default

bandwidth remaining percent 10

Siddhartha

Thanks Mr. Siddhartham,

We can inform to Service provider to classify the voice traffic and priority with Premium class.

Is it possible to classify the citrix traffic and https traffic in Coreswitch of LAN, otherthan Serviceprovider end change.

You can use auto QoS for your LAN but usually you won't see any latency in the LAN so you can just create a policy map on your edge router and ask your service provider to respect those markings on their side.

Siddhartha
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card