cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Question about 4500X VSS management port

gwhuang5398
Level 2
Level 2

I have two standalone 4500X switches that I'm planning to convert to VSS. If I cable the management port on both switches to a management cloud, which management port should I put the management IP address? Is it the port on the active switch? if the active switch failed, would the management port on the standby switch take over the management IP?

The management port is in VRF mgmtVrf. Should I create a default route for the VRF such as "ip route vrf mgmtvrf 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 ....." to point to its default gateway IP?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

When you convert the chassis to VSS, only the management interfaces (FastEthernet1) for switch-1 (active) will be visible in the config.  So you want to cable both management interfaces to your management cloud, but you only apply the IP to the active switch.

The management port is in VRF mgmtVrf. Should I create a default route for the VRF such as "ip route vrf mgmtvrf 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 ....." to point to its default gateway IP?

Correct, you need a default route in that mgmt vrf pointing to the gateway.

HTH

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

When you convert the chassis to VSS, only the management interfaces (FastEthernet1) for switch-1 (active) will be visible in the config.  So you want to cable both management interfaces to your management cloud, but you only apply the IP to the active switch.

Correct, you need a default route in that mgmt vrf pointing to the gateway.

HTH

Greatly appreciated sir.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card