Views
Helpful
Replies

Question about D/G for data and VoIP

Jay Matrona
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Currently I have a distribution switch(Cisco 3750) that sends all traffic (voip and data) to an edge router.  The edge router has 2x PSTN circuits for voip and fios circuit for data.  I need to send the data traffic from the 3750 to a firewall which is connected to a Verizon 10mb eth handoff.  The voip traffic will continue to be sent to the edge router.

Question: If I assign a default route on the 3750 for the next hop to be the f/w, will the voip traffic be sent there as well?  If that is the case is a PBR for either the voip or data traffic the only solution?  Are there other things in place whic will determine the path for voip packets?

Thanks

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Jay

If you assign a default route to the fw all traffic for unknown destinations will be sent to the firewall. So it depends on whether or not you know all the destinations for the VOIP traffic. If you did you could enter specific routes on the 3750 for the VOIP traffic to go to the edge router.

However if the destinations could be anything then you need to look at either PBR or vrf-lite on your 3750. PBR certainly needs IP Services and i think vrf-lite does as well.

Jon

Thanks for the info.  Would the voip packets include the destination of the of the PRI g/w interface on the edge router?

If a call is initiated from an internal voice vlan destined for some random outside number, does that packet know its destination(i.e. PRI g/w interface on edge router)?

Thanks again

Jay

Your'e asking the wrong person i'm afraid

I don't know what the destination IPs of the VOIP packets would be. I can only tell you if they are unknown in terms of your 3750 routing table then they will be sent using the default route.

Sorry i cannot be more help but i'm not a VOIP person.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card