cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Question about setting up the destination port for a SPAN session

ronjonjonjon1
Level 1
Level 1

I have an outside organization coming into my datacenter and they are going to monitor traffic on a number of VLAN's.  The actual SPAN sessions have been setup correctly with the respective VLAN's, say 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5.

However, I'm a little confused on the configuration of the the actual destination port itself that the network analyzer is being plugged into:

1. First I read this, "When a port is configured as a SPAN destination port, the configuration overwrites the original port configuration." So does that mean that SPAN overrides the configuration on the destination port? ie. like if it's configured as a trunk port or access port, does the port get a default configuration?

2.  Why or why not would you configure it as an access, trunk, or routed port?  Is it possible to configure all 3?

Here is the configuration of my SPAN session:

monitor session 1 source vlan 1-5

monitor session 1 destination interface Te2/0/38

And the port configuration:

interface TenGigabitEthernet2/0/38

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 2

Should I just configure it as an access port without the 'switchport access vlan' and call it a day or maybe just configure it as 'switchport'?

2 Replies 2

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- It doesn't matter  , it becomes a span-destination 'that's all', as it will only do outputting traffic.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Thanks for responding, so I can leave the configuration on the port configured like these 3 choices with no difference?

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 2

OR

switchport mode trunk

OR

switchport

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card