cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

question about spanning tree portfast and bpdu

syedhasnain11
Level 1
Level 1

My understanding is that by default, PortFast is disabled on all switch ports and you can configure PortFast in two ways: per port and globally.

If you configure PortFast globally, all ports that are operational as access ports automatically become PortFast enabled and if they receive a BPDU, they will go into blocking mode.

If you configure PortFast on a port, the port will become PortFast enabled.

My question is, what happens when a BPDU is received on a port which has been enabled with PortFast under interface and not globally. Does the port go into blocking state, same like when PortFast is enabled globally?

Thanks
Syed

6 Replies 6

ngkin2010
Level 7
Level 7
Hi,

If you configured the PortFast in interface specific mode, then you simply disabled the STP on that interface. It would not go through the spanning tree states (BLK , LRN, FWD).

ngkin2010,

That is actually incorrect. Enabling portfast on an interface doesn't disable spanning tree on it. If a port with portfast enabled receives a BPDU it will process it as normal. The difference between portfast-enabled port and non-portfast-enabled is that portfast-enabled port skips listening and learning states and goes straight to forwarding.

Hi,

Thank you for pointing it out. And I think I have to refresh my knowledge..haha. Thanks again.

omz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi, 

Please check below link - good post by Daniel Dib. Hopefully, it will answer your question. 

http://lostintransit.se/2013/08/04/busting-myths-spanning-tree-portfast-on-the-interface/

Hello

Portfast applied either global or interface - will go from blocking and then bypass listen/learn (pvst+) states  or from discarding and Learning states (Rpvst+/mst) and go into forwarding.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
In addition to what's been correctly noted (i.e. a PortFast enabled port will go into non-PortFast mode if it "sees" an BPDU), I understand that you do risk a L2 loop bringing the device(s)/network down. I.e. a L2 loop might consume the switch before it can block the loop.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card