cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Question - Extract .tar file in Flash in ROMmon mode?

dapaq2
Level 1
Level 1

Group,

Is there a way to or a command line to use that will allow me to extract / uncompress a .tar file in Flash while in ROMMON mode?

Thanks,

Doug

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Switches do not support "untar" commands.  

Look for the BIN file push that through.  Once the switch boots, upgrade correctly using the TAR file.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

I haven't seen a option to decompress a tar file.

Can I guess you are trying to extract the .bin file from a web dev manager tar file, and then booting off the .bin file once it is wrten to local disk? Why not unpack the .tar file on your remote server and offer up the component files for download?

cheers,

Seb.

Only way so far that I have found to extract in Flash is POST in Privileged mode. I would like to do it in ROMmon.

I want to retain the main root directory and the sub directories within Flash (and also web dev mgr access). Also extracting the file directly in Flash is easier.

If you can achieve this once booted and in privileged EXEC what is the desire for doing the same task in ROMmon? Are you trying to recover a switch?

You could just copy over a .bin, boot it then use the archive download-sw command if you wanted the web management stuff.

cheers,

Seb.

I do not understand why are guys are not understanding what I am trying to accomplish and why you need more info. Am I not saying or using the correct wording or terminology? If chatting with you via voice on the telephone (USA) or Telegram to discuss and clear up any misunderstanding that would be awesome. If voice chat is not an option, ok, then let me try to explain again a different way, hopefully this helps clear up any confusion, if it does not let's please try discussing verbally...

I know how to uncompress a .tar file on my PC and then transfer the .bin file to Flash via xmodem. And I know how to copy and then extract a .tar file in Flash that ends up creating directories and a .bin file to boot from and after it has booted POST am able to get to privileged mode, but that is NOT what I am trying to accomplish regarding my question.

What I am wanting to do is uncompress/extract the .tar file directly in Flash that has been freshly formatted and then boot from the .bin file within the directory created after extracting. So, here I have Flash that has been formatted and a .tar file transferred to Flash via xmodem. At THAT point in time I can NOT boot nor can I get to privileged mode EXEC while in ROMmon mode, the commands "archive" and "extract" are not recognized while in ROMmon mode. What I am wanting to do is format Flash, copy the .tar file to Flash, uncompress the .tar file directly in Flash while in ROMmon mode and then set the system boot path to the .bin file within "Flash/directory/file_name.bin. Can this be done and if yes, HOW do I go about doing it? Thank you.

@dapaq2 wrote:

What I am wanting to do is uncompress/extract the .tar file directly in Flash that has been freshly formatted and then boot from the .bin file within the directory created after extracting. 

Because different platforms behave differently. 

For example, for classic IOS, the answer is "no".  For an AP that runs on "classic" IOS, the answer is YES. 

I need more info.  What is the platform? 

The Cisco switch model is WS-C3560G-48PS S V09 and I am working with two platforms:

PLATFORM 12

12.2.55-SE12(MD)

c3560-ipbasek9-tar.122-55.SE12.tar

and

PLATFORM 15

15.0.2-SE11(MD)

c3560-ipbasek9-tar.150-2.SE11.tar

Switches do not support "untar" commands.  

Look for the BIN file push that through.  Once the switch boots, upgrade correctly using the TAR file.

Oh dang... I was afraid that was going to be the answer. Ok, thank you for the help Leo.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I need more info to this.  

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card