Helpful
Replies

Question for pvst+ protocol

eeebbunee
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Engineers, 

I am arguing with psvt+ protocol.

Our company using two different switch (Cisco, ExtremeNetworks) and most of switches are Cisco's.

Switches are enabled pvst as a default for the Cisco switches.

Yesterday there was a loop issue, I noticed that because one of VLANs is down.

Core switch logs are full of 'flapping error msgs', about issued vlan and CPU was almost 100 percent.

Weird thing is, l guess loop connection has been made few hours ago, but Core switch stopped entire traffics of issue vlan few hours later. Is it possible?

I am guessing the loop was started like that. 

However, if L2 switch is enabled pvst+ protocol, switch realized that two ports(access mode) are made a loop.

So, L2 switch should've disabled one of port.

loop.PNG

But, two ports of L2 switch are connected state, and there was no record about blocked port.

When I checked the CPU history, it goes up to 70-80(maximum) but it is low percentage comparing with Core switch.

Am I wrong about the pvst protocol? or Do you think there might be different loop case?

Please save me from the loop maze....

1 Reply 1

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

"Our company using two different switch (Cisco, ExtremeNetworks) and most of switches are Cisco's."

It's possible your ExtremeNetworks switches only support common/global STP.  If so, you can run into inter operational issues mixing such with Cisco switches running PVSTP.

Sometimes you can find documentation, either from Cisco or the other vendor, how to mitigate mixing the two vendors' STP implementations or you might run MSTP on both.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card