cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Question on IP Routing, little confused on routing.

CKluck001
Level 1
Level 1

So question, trouble with some routing issues. 

I am trying to a static route a device in my VLAN 12, however it is not working like what I planned. 

I know this works 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 64.65.66.68 this will route everything out.

But I am trying the following 35.34.33.32(Host) 255.255.255.255 64.65.66.68, not getting anywhere. 

On the Palo device I have this setup - 

35.34.33.0/24 (1/3) 64.65.66.67

So can I route a host within a vlan or do I have todo something like policy based?

16 Replies 16

Thank you. It is very helpful to have this statement of what you are trying to accomplish. First let me say that from the perspective of routing you configure routing exactly the same whether you are routing for 1 host or routing for an entire network. You do not have any extra routing statements to limit the routing to a single host.

So if you want to limit the routing to a single host and that does not require any special routing statements, then how do you need to do? I can suggest three alternatives. 1) you could configure all other hosts in the subnet and make their default gateway something different from the router address. 2) you could configure an inbound access list on FA0/0 that only permits traffic from the host that you want to route for. 3) you could configure Policy Based Routing on FA0/0 and set it so that it has normal forwarding for the specific host and forwards traffic for all other hosts to Null0.

Option 1 involves hosts and not the router. I do not know how many hosts and how complicated this would be. Option 2 is simple and if you want to go through this it is what I would recommend to you. Option 3 is more elaborate but I see no good reason to go through the extra effort. And frankly I wonder if the effort of restricting to a single host is really worth it. If it were me I would just let the routing work.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Perhaps it may help to have a brief review of the logic of static routes. The static route will typically have 3 components that you specify 1) the destination (could be a network, could be a subnet, could be a host) 2) the mask applied to the destination 3) the next hop toward the destination. So when you prepare to configure a static route you should be able to verbally explain 1) what destination am I trying to reach 2) what is the mask of that destination 3) how do I want to get to that destination.

As I tried to explain in the previous post if your test is to see whether traffic from host 35.34.33.32 will be routed correctly then I see no need for static routes other than the default route. If you believe that another route is required then please supply the verbal explanation of 1) what destination am I trying to reach 2) what is the mask of that destination 3) how do I want to get to that destination.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card