cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Question regarding static routes

ithikangar
Level 1
Level 1

Working on a customer site and having a brain fart. Normally we do a static route from our onsite Layer 3 Switch over to the onsite Customer Core Layer 3 switch. Normally we subnet the devices on our side with a private IP of 192.168.x.x and the ip route all 0s to the customer side of the L3 connection. Today I had a customer telling me they needed to know the subnet on our side for routing purposes and I always thought that in a case like this the customer side network wouldn't care what is on the other side of the L3 connection in terms of IP addresses as it would only see the other end of the connection and that is it. Am I imagining this or was the customer actually right?

2 Replies 2

Make him use defualt route 

It not necessary for customer to know provider subnet.

MHM

Hello,

It depends on how they are routing and what they are trying to do. If they have other connections out it may not make sense to do just a default route to you as that may be the wrong or inefficient path. Since routing is based on most specific match they may just want to point a static route for just that network on the link towards you and other networks on their other connections if that's the case.

However, if you are their only connection out a default route should suffice and what they are asking for could  be purely cosmetic.

-David

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card