cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Question related to SFP, Fiber, and switches model Compatibility for Gigs Connections

ScottBernard
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

I am in the middle of a project where we are receiving a 2gig Internet connection from a service provider. I need to connect this to a switch , my question is related to what sfp, switch would be the most compatible. I was thinking about a 3750 switch with sfp modules, but i am not sure if a SFP 1000 sx is enough as we are receiving a 2 gig connection via fiber then I would need to use a 10G module, with 10G sfps... mm well i am very confuse... can anyone help me please in your experience with a similar situation

Thanks.

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I am in the middle of a project where we are receiving a 2 Gig Internet connection from a service provider. 

Can you explain what you mean by "2 Gig" connection from your ISP?  Is it a single fibre optic and running 2 Gbps or two fibre links of 1 Gbps?

As far as I know is only a single fiber optic running 2 gbps.

Then you'll need a 3750X appliance with C3KX-NM-10G.  You'll also need the associate SFP+. 

Finally, you'll need to configure traffic-shaping/policy-shaping to "squeeze" your WAN traffic to no more than 2 Gbps.  If you push more than 2 Gbps then your ISP will drop the outbound traffic.

Yeah .. i was thinking in the 3750x models.

What about having two separated 1 gbps connection.. how could i mix/merge those connections into a same switch? could i do that?

What about having two separated 1 gbps connection.. how could i mix/merge those connections into a same switch? could i do that?

Yes you can.  This depends on the model of your switch (copper or SFP ports) or optional SFP network module used.  The Optional SFP network module will depend on whether or not you're using SFP or SFP+.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

A "2 gig" connection might mean a 10g logically limited to 2g, or it might mean the full duplex capacity of a gig link.

The SFP+ ports on 10g 3750X modules will support either a gig or 10g transceiver.  The SPF ports, on either 10g or gig modules will only support gig.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card