Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Question with PoE for cameras

Hello, I have a Switch C3750E-48PD PoE and in some ports of this switch the staff of surveillance connect cameras that need 20 Watts. I read that every port only have available 15.4 Watts per port so my question is if that the cameras asking more power can damage the ports of my switch?

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

My switch has the IOS 12.2(58)SE2 and if I force some ports up to 20 watts these ports won't be damaged is some way by the the power delivered?

It won't.

1.  You don't configure this line to ALL.  You only configure this line to the appropriate ports.

2.  If your camera is designed to operate at 20.0 w then there's not reason that pumping 20.0 watts will "harm" the camera.

3.  Just make sure you use the right patch cable.  Don't use Cat 5/5e.  Instead use Cat6. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Not in this direction. I would think you wouldn't have enough power to power the camera up. I have wireless access points that support the new standard 802.3at which requires 25.5 watts, but my switches only support 15.4 (802.3af). They work fine, but I need to use power injectors on them.

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

3750E?

Yes, you can force the ports to push up to 20.0 watts (if you have enough excess power and if you are using the right IOS version) by using the command "power inline port maximum 20000".

My switch has the IOS 12.2(58)SE2 and if I force some ports up to 20 watts these ports won't be damaged is some way by the the power delivered?

Thanks.

It won't.

1.  You don't configure this line to ALL.  You only configure this line to the appropriate ports.

2.  If your camera is designed to operate at 20.0 w then there's not reason that pumping 20.0 watts will "harm" the camera.

3.  Just make sure you use the right patch cable.  Don't use Cat 5/5e.  Instead use Cat6. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card