Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Questions on logging in Nexus 7010 6.x

We recently replaced our core switch from a non-cisco vendor with a Nexus 7010.  With our old core switch, I had the ability to log changes to the ARP table.  So if there was a dhcp conflict or a vMotion event, it would show up in the "show log" output.  I've not found a way to do that with the Nexus switch - or at least no way to view the log.  I have the command:

logging level arp 6

To be frank, I've not explored the logging capabilites of this switch as much as I probably should have yet so any help will be greatly appreciated.

If this posts answers your question or is helpful, please consider rating it and/or marking as answered.       

If this posts answers your question or is helpful, please consider rating it and/or marking as answered.
8 Replies 8

dominic.caron
Level 5
Level 5

I've enabled LLDP on the network et on servers. The output in the logs are like this:

2012 Sep 18 15:08:40.925 XXXXXXXXXX %LLDP-5-SERVER_ADDED: Server with Chassis ID 2c27.d716.2669 Port ID X2 management address 10.9.8.125 discovered on local port Eth1/22 in vlan 0 with enabled capability None

Now, if I could only get the server admin to complete the LLDP config, I could have the hostname of the server and not only the management IP and the MAC....work in progess.

Hi Dominic,

Are you suggesting that LLDP has to be running to log changes to the ARP table?

There is also this command:

mac address-table notification mac-move

Nerver tried it because I wanted the info on the server identity.

Yeah, I've tried that one - and it doesn't seem to ever give me the info I'm looking for.

dominic.caron
Level 5
Level 5

Did you configure le logging level for l2fm to notification?

No, I dont' believe I have.  Do you have the commands or a link to a configuration example?

logging level facility severity-level

facility is l2fm and level is 5 for notification I think.

I made that change, I will test Monday morning to see if that fixes my issue.  Thanks for your help.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: