Views
Helpful
Replies

questions on ospf

cashqoo
Level 1
Level 1

i have a few questions on OSPF
1> can a interface be configured for more than 1 area?
2> which is the OSPF version which supports multiple process?
3> is it possible to archive link redundancy between 2 sites using the attached diagram? using different areas for main link  and secondary link.

thanks in advance.

5 Replies 5

Kasiraman S
Level 1
Level 1

no its not possible.

OSPF v2 support and I'm not sure about V3.

3> is it possible to archive link redundancy between 2 sites using the attached diagram? using different areas for main link  and secondary link.

It is possible.

Thanks,

Kasi

Hi Kasi,

There is only one version of OSPF for IPv4 this is OSPF v2, OSPFv3 is OSPF for IPv6 only and it supports multiple processes as well

Regards.

Alain.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

YES

By default, a single interface can belong to only one OSPF area. However, in some situations, you might want to configure an interface to belong to more than one area. Doing so allows the corresponding link to be considered an intra-area link in multiple areas and to be preferred over other higher-cost intra-area paths. For example, you configure an interface to belong to multiple areas with a high-speed backbone link between two area border routers to enable you to create multiarea adjacencies that belong to different areas.

The multi-area adjacency feature for OSPFv2 allows a link to be configured on the primary interface in more than one area so that the link could be considered as an intra-area link in those areas and configured as a preference over more expensive paths.

Hope the above will help you.

Please rate the all helpfull posts.
Regards,
Naidu.

cashqoo
Level 1
Level 1

i have a addon question:

- i have read from somewhere in the forum that Cisco does not recommend running multiple OSPF as it is resource intensive. (please correct me if i am wrong). if so, which of the following is more resource intensive on a single router? assuming that the other factors are the same.

a> running 2 OSPF process

b> running 1 OSPF process and another routing protocol (say EIGRP)

Hi,

Yes, Cisco does not recommend running multiple OSPF as it is resource intensive.
Running two OSPF process is more resource intensive.

Running 1 OSPF process and use another protocol (EIGRP / BGP) is the best idea. Because I have this same kind of setup on my 1841 for several years now and no problems everything running fine.

Please click on the correct answer if this answered your question.
Regards,
Naidu.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card