Views
Helpful
Replies

Quick BGP question

smehrnia
Level 7
Level 7

Hi guyz,

do you know if we could set a router as RR for an ipv4 address family in a certain AS, and set another BGP router as RR for vpnv4 address family under the same AS?

if positive, is it a good practice to do that or not?

thanks!

Soroush.       

Hope it Helps!

Soroush.
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Soroush,

it is possible to use different devices as BGP RR for different address families.

This is usually done for scalability in the control plane, as in this way no single RR device has to store in memory all IPv4 and all VPNv4 prefixes at the same time.

I have seen this done on a service provider network with C7200 VXR NPE-G1 as BGP RR.

Nowdays, more recent platforms like ASR 1000 have higher capabilities in terms of number of routes supported in RR role, however it is still a valid design.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Soroush,

it is possible to use different devices as BGP RR for different address families.

This is usually done for scalability in the control plane, as in this way no single RR device has to store in memory all IPv4 and all VPNv4 prefixes at the same time.

I have seen this done on a service provider network with C7200 VXR NPE-G1 as BGP RR.

Nowdays, more recent platforms like ASR 1000 have higher capabilities in terms of number of routes supported in RR role, however it is still a valid design.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

hi,

Thank you Giuseppe, and it is on a service provider environment.

Soroush.

Hope it Helps!

Soroush.

Hello Giuseppe,

I am trying to set up BGP RRs, but i want to know if it is a requirement for the clients to be directly connected to the RRs or I just need to establish TCP coonection regarless of direct/indirect connectivity?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card