cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Rapid Spanning-tree TC

kevin.r719
Level 1
Level 1

I'm having trouble understanding why RSTP behaves the way it does. I've been reading through http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/lan-switching/spanning-tree-protocol/24062-146.html

and it says when a TC occurs it "clears mac addresses on all ports EXCEPT the one that received the TCN"

Isn't this backwards? if we have switches hooked up like this where C is the root, A -> B -> C 

1) B generates TCN and forwards it to C

2) what does B do with the stuff it's learned from A? clear the MAC table? or wait for timeout?

3) since C learned A's macs from B, doesn't that mean it will still retain the MACs learned from A? 

if C lead to another branch, say D, D would receive the TCN from C and still keep A's macs in it's table correct? because that's the port it learned it from

1 Reply 1

esa_fresa
Level 1
Level 1

The Cisco doc has it correct.

1. In your example of A->B->C, I'm assuming that A also has a physical link to C (the classic triangle looking configuration) and that this A-C link went down, causing the A-B link to go from blocking to forwarding on B's side and so causing B to mark the topology change bit on hellos sent to C.

2. B will start using the information from A immediately. The port was previously blocking and doesn't have any MAC addresses learned.

3. Prior to the A-C link going down, C was learning A's macs from A, not B. Remember that the A-B port was blocking on B's end, so none of these macs would have been propagated. What C will do is exactly what you stated, "clears mac addresses on all ports EXCEPT the one that received the TCN". C will clear the macs that it learned previously on its A-C link just like we want it to (well, now it doesn't matter because that link is down, but the theory is still good)

4. If D learned the A macs via the C-D link, then that's correct, it will keep them in the table, and that's what we want. Whether the macs go A>C>D or A>B>C>D, the D switch is still receiving the A macs from switch C.

I hope this clears things up!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card