cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Re-numbering stack member

Graham Murison
Level 1
Level 1

So this is my first attempt at a stackwise virtual (C3850), however I think this also applies to other flavours of stacking apart from vPC.  The switch with the lower mac address obtained the #1, which is not what I intended.  (basically it is physically lower in the rack).  When I enter the command "switch 1 renumber 3" i get the output.

WARNING: Changing the switch number may result in a configuration change for that switch. The interface configuration associated with the old switch number will remain as a provisioned configuration. New Switch Number will be effective after next reboot. Do you want to continue?[y/n]? [yes]: no

Can anyone clarify the bolded statement?  The whole reason for me to re-number is to have the interface numbers match with the switch.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You can use the offline configuration feature to provision (to supply a configuration to) a new switch before it joins the switch stack. You can configure the stack member number, the switch type, and the interfaces associated with a switch that is not currently part of the stack. The configuration that you create on the switch stack is called the provisioned configuration. The switch that is added to the switch stack and that receives this configuration is called the provisioned switch.

You manually create the provisioned configuration through the switch stack-member-number provision type global configuration command. You must change the stack-member-number on the provisioned switch before you add it to the stack, and it must match the stack member number that you created for the new switch on the switch stack. The switch type in the provisioned configuration must match the switch type of the newly added switch. The provisioned configuration is automatically created when a switch is added to a switch stack and when no provisioned configuration exists.
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960xr/software/15-2_2_e/stack_manager/configuration_guide/b_stack_ha_1522e_2960xr_cg/b_stk_32se_3850_cg_chapter_00.html

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

You can use the offline configuration feature to provision (to supply a configuration to) a new switch before it joins the switch stack. You can configure the stack member number, the switch type, and the interfaces associated with a switch that is not currently part of the stack. The configuration that you create on the switch stack is called the provisioned configuration. The switch that is added to the switch stack and that receives this configuration is called the provisioned switch.

You manually create the provisioned configuration through the switch stack-member-number provision type global configuration command. You must change the stack-member-number on the provisioned switch before you add it to the stack, and it must match the stack member number that you created for the new switch on the switch stack. The switch type in the provisioned configuration must match the switch type of the newly added switch. The provisioned configuration is automatically created when a switch is added to a switch stack and when no provisioned configuration exists.
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960xr/software/15-2_2_e/stack_manager/configuration_guide/b_stack_ha_1522e_2960xr_cg/b_stk_32se_3850_cg_chapter_00.html

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card