cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

rebroadcast directed broadcast packet from one subnet to another.

Chris Thuys
Level 1
Level 1

I have a requirement to rebroadcast a directed broadcast packet for one subnet onto another subnet. This is using a switch not a router.  The directed broadcast are generated by a server with its nic on the subnet that it is generating directed broadcasts (it's local subnet).  I need to use the ip helper function on the switch to receive these directed broadcast packets and re-transmit them using unicast ( or directed broadcast) to another subnet which was not part of the original directed broadcast.

ie server with ip 192.168.210.25/24   broadcasts a packet on port 18246 to 192.168.201.255/24 , I want the ip helper to send this packet to 192.168.38.38 which is not connected to the switch but the switch does have a route for.  The config I have been using only seems to work for limited broadcasts ie 255.255.255.255 which of course does not help with my requirements.

Is this at all possible and if so how would I achieve it.

TIA

2 Replies 2

mamdohmardini
Level 1
Level 1

please check below link:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/ipapp/configuration/12-4/iap-12-4-book/iap-bph.html

BR

MTM

Thanks for the link. it was very informative and showed that what I was doing was correct.

It turns out that my issue was a result of the routing engine not working/running. A reboot of the switch seems to have kicked it into gear and now the packets are getting rebroadcast as required.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card