cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Recommend a suitable Cisco edge switches for implementing STP to go with CISCO 3750 core

Chitra David
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

My predecessor had installed 2XCISCO 3750 switches (implemented LACP on these core switches) that is located in the server room. We have 4 Comms cabinet on different floors up-linked through fibre and all these cabinets have a mixture of D-link, HP switches and I was told that STP was configured.

In this week few times one of the Gigabit ports on the Core switch was Shutdown and this has become and big problem. I went into the Gigabit interface and gave shutdown and no shutdown command and the gigabit interface came up. I think somehow network looping has happened and STP din't work and the Gigabit uplink port was shutdown.

I posted in the forum long time ago and was discussed that it could be a spanning tree incompatibility issue.
I am now planning to buy Cisco switches and implement STP, so that it doesn’t have any incompatibility issue. Please suggest the type of 48 port Cisco switches and the model number that I need to purchase.

Total number of 48 Port Cisco switches that I requires is 12 numbers for all the 4 Comms cabinet.

Please  suggest, your help much appreciated.

1 Reply 1

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Chitra,

The 2960 is an excellent Layer2 switch that would fit your requirement.

The 2960-S is stackable and had better PoE options. Assuming you only need 1Gb uplinks to your 3750 core switches, the 2960S-48FPS-L is probably the best for you.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-2960-series-switches/product_data_sheet0900aecd80322c0c.html

cheers,

Seb.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card