cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Recommended DHCP lease duration for Unified Communications devices

daboochmeister
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, all - sorry if this is the wrong community, but most DHCP discussions seem to happen here.

For our UC gear (VOIP phones, with a couple having video on board), is there a general recommendation for optimal DHCP lease duration?  What are the factors that would affect what you choose to set?

I imagine that one factor is how much flux there is in the environment - our environment is fully deployed, and everything is working, this is a tuning activity, not an initial setup.

Thank you!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

devils_advocate
Level 7
Level 7

I don't think there is a general recommendation as such.

Short lease times are better if you have a regularly changing host environment, for example Guest wireless access. If you had a lost of guests coming and going you may run out of DHCP leases if you set it to 8 days. 

The downside to short leases is that it increases traffic to the DHCP server but unless you have a slow link somewhere between the clients and the DHCP server, this is less of a concern than it used to be.

I think it would be fine to leave it at the default lease time, unless you want to pick something else.

Thanks

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

devils_advocate
Level 7
Level 7

I don't think there is a general recommendation as such.

Short lease times are better if you have a regularly changing host environment, for example Guest wireless access. If you had a lost of guests coming and going you may run out of DHCP leases if you set it to 8 days. 

The downside to short leases is that it increases traffic to the DHCP server but unless you have a slow link somewhere between the clients and the DHCP server, this is less of a concern than it used to be.

I think it would be fine to leave it at the default lease time, unless you want to pick something else.

Thanks

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card