Views
Helpful
Replies

Recommended QOS policy for MS Teams on my Cat 96k

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi All

I am in process of writing a QOS policy for my MS Teams traffic and applying it to our new core switch.

My question is, as it it is realtime voice and video, should I put them both into the priority queue, create 2 multi level priority queues, or have the voice in the priority queue and the video in a normal queue with minimum bandwidth gaurantee?

what are people doing and what would you recommend?

cheers

2 Replies 2

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Cisco's Point of view is the same marking we do for Voice and Video as part of our QoS design.

There is a good example configuration available for Cat 9K (BRKCRS-2501)  - if you have cisco Live Presentation.

MS point of view for reference -  ( we do use MS Teams - above suggested cisco config works as expected for both voice and video including events)

here is MS Teams requirement.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/qos-in-teams

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If your equipment supports the dual level PQ/LLQ, then using that (level 1 for voice, level 2 for video) would work best for providing that traffic the SLA it really desires.

For equipment that doesn't support dual level PQ/LLQ and/or for video bandwidth that pushes overall PQ/LLQ bandwidth requirement to, say, greater than 50%, the other approach would be to place video in a "normal" queue, but ideally NOT with minimum bandwidth if you're going by "average" video bandwidth usage.  (NB: doing that is often a good way to trash that video's quality.)

For a "normal" queue, you would want to allocate bandwidth that the video needs for its maximum consumption, or ideally, somewhat more.

For video in a "normal" queue, first you want to insure its traffic's packets are not dropped.  This might be accomplished by using large buffers for that queue and/or pushing up the queue's bandwidth allocation (the latter insuring higher priority to dequeuing its traffic before other queues - i.e. somewhat like PQ/LLQ behavior).  The latter, like PQ/LLQ, also avoids jitter and/or latency issues.

Even when you have the dual PQ/LLQ, placing RT video in a "normal" queue allows better QoS tuning vis-à-vis other traffic.  This often becomes more important if your video traffic, in PQ/LLQ, needs/uses a large percentage of your bandwidth, as the more it uses can be adverse to your other traffic.  (NB: I recall Cisco recommends not allocating more than 1/3 or your bandwidth to LLQ for this reason.)

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card