cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Recover to priviledge mode

m.saufi
Level 1
Level 1

I accidentally removed the enable secret password but still have access to exec mode(telnet and console). When I tried to go to enable mode, it prompted "% no password set". How do I get/set to use priviledge mode again? THANKS.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

John

When Morshidi says that he has access via telnet and console, I suspect that his attempts so far have been with telnet. The classic behavior of IOS has been to allow privilege access from the console with no enable or enable secret and to deny privilege access from telnet with no enable or enable secret.

I suggest that Morshidi try access from the console. I believe that it will work. If it does not work, then John's suggestion of password recovery is what he should do.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

jpl861
Level 4
Level 4

You can't login to priviledge exec mode using console? hmmm....I thought that you will not be able to login to priviledge mode if you don't have an enable secret even if you have a telnet password.

Try to bypass the startup-config using the password recovery to set your new password.

Just visit this website:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1831/products_tech_note09186a00801746e6.shtml#routers

John

When Morshidi says that he has access via telnet and console, I suspect that his attempts so far have been with telnet. The classic behavior of IOS has been to allow privilege access from the console with no enable or enable secret and to deny privilege access from telnet with no enable or enable secret.

I suggest that Morshidi try access from the console. I believe that it will work. If it does not work, then John's suggestion of password recovery is what he should do.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick,

Yes, telnet works fine but not on priviledge access. From console port, yes your are right, priviledge mode is allowed and I'm able to set enable secret again, so no need for password recovery anymore.

Many thanks.

Morshidi

Morshidi

Thanks for posting back to the forum indicating that your problem was resolved. (and thanks for the rating) It makes the forum more useful when people can read about a problem and can know that they will also read the solution to the problem.

I encourage you to continue your participation in the forum.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card