cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Recovering after a Factory Reset on a 9300 series switch

Sparkeyluv
Level 1
Level 1

I had no other choice but to do a factory reset on my 9300 series 48 port switch. I’m now posting to figure out my next steps.

The first thing I tried from the switch: prompt was to copy usbflash0:image bootflash: unfortunately after entering this command I get the error “write access to bootflash: unsupported”

The next thing I tired to do was from the switch: prompt flash_init but revived an error “command “flash_init” not found”

and finally from the switch: prompt I did a boot usbflash0:image. After the switch rebooted and into the image I tried to do a copy usbflash0 to bootflash that appeared to work and then a wr. But after rebooting found nothing “stuck”. And now I’m back at step one.

Any help I getting this switch up and running is gladly and happily appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

When a Catalyst 9k switch is in ROMMON, it is not possible to copy the firmware from the USB into the flash.  It is locked down. 

If the switch was factory-reset, then the recommended method of putting the firmware back into the switch is to use the command "emergency-install usbflash0:IOS_filename.bin".

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

marce1000
VIP
VIP

>...I tried to do a copy usbflash0 to bootflash that appeared to work 
     - A rather mysterious sentence because you can't copy the usbflash device to the bootflash device , could you clarify ?

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

When a Catalyst 9k switch is in ROMMON, it is not possible to copy the firmware from the USB into the flash.  It is locked down. 

If the switch was factory-reset, then the recommended method of putting the firmware back into the switch is to use the command "emergency-install usbflash0:IOS_filename.bin".

Question, how did you know this and where could I have found this listed at?

@Sparkeyluv wrote:
how did you know this and where could I have found this listed at?

It is an "undocumented feature".  

I found out about it because it is part of my job to do some "unboxing" tests.  

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card