Views
Helpful
Replies

Redirect all DNS requests for a certain domain to a specific DNS Server

Peter Sheridan
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have setup a home lab to do some Microsoft training on. My lab domain name is "demo.lab". What I want to do is configure my cisco router to forward any dns requests to demo.lab to my Active Directory Server.

For example

If I ping mail.demo.lab, I want that reqest to be forwarded to my lab domain controller (dc01.demo.lab).

I have configured a SOA record on the Cisco router like so, but it still does not foward the reqest on (10.10.10.10 is the IP address of dc01.demo.lab).

ip dns primary demo.lab soa 10.10.10.10 postmaster.demo.lab

Any clues as to what i'm missing?

Thanks

Peter

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Have you configured your router-IP as the DNS-server on your PC? Then you can configure DNS-views for that:

ip dns view DEMO
 logging
 dns forwarder 10.10.10.10
ip dns view default
 logging
 domain timeout 2
!
ip dns view-list DNS
 view DEMO 10
  restrict name-group 1
 view default 1000
ip dns name-list 1 permit \.DEMO\.LAB
!
int vlan 1
  description YOUR LAN INERFACE
  ip dns view-group DNS

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Terry Cheema
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

compare your config with this example config:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/ipaddr_dns/configuration/12-4t/dns-12-4t-book/dns-config-dns.html#GUID-B35BAE29-08A7-4ACE-94FE-7950A4422202

-Terry

Cisco Freak
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Peter,

Does the AD server acting as DNS server also? If it's the case, why don't you configure the DNS server IP in the router?

Switch(config)#ip name-server ?
  A.B.C.D     Domain server IP address (maximum of 6)
  X:X:X:X::X  Domain server IPv6 address (maximum of 6)

CF

Have you configured your router-IP as the DNS-server on your PC? Then you can configure DNS-views for that:

ip dns view DEMO
 logging
 dns forwarder 10.10.10.10
ip dns view default
 logging
 domain timeout 2
!
ip dns view-list DNS
 view DEMO 10
  restrict name-group 1
 view default 1000
ip dns name-list 1 permit \.DEMO\.LAB
!
int vlan 1
  description YOUR LAN INERFACE
  ip dns view-group DNS

Hi Karsten,

Yep my computer had the router as its primary DNS Server. The config you supplied worked! Thanks very much :)

Hi Cisco Freak,

Yep my AD server was also a DNS server. Yes that was one option, but I just didn't want to keep changing my DNS as my laptop goes to/from work with me. The config that Karsten supplied worked though.

Hi Terry,

Thanks for the link. I believe I had configured it correctly as per that docuemnt, but it didn't work for some reason. Still go reference material though.

The other option would have been to configure the router to use my AD server as its primary name server host like so;

ip name-server 10.10.10.10

ip name-server 8.8.8.8

The only problem would be that if/when my DC is offline, there would be a small delay when doing DNS requests, and since my internet is shared with my house mate, I didn't want to disrupt her too much.

Thanks again for your help!

Cheers

Peter

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card