cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Redistribution between RIP2 and EIGRP protocols

Filip Knezevic
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, all. I'm studying for my CCNA and Im doing some labs in Packet tracer. I have RIP2 network and EIGRP network, all computers in those networks can ping each other, so the routing is good. Now I wanted to connect this two networks so I created router in the middle (CORE router) that should redistribute traffic between networks. I enabled RIp2 and EIGRP on Core router and I followed instructions for redistribution, so I typed this commands:

router eigrp 1

redistribute rip metric 1024 0 255 1 1500

network 10.0.0.0

no auto-summary

!

router rip

redistribute eigrp 1 metric 14

network 10.0.0.0

network 172.30.0.0

network 192.168.13.0

no auto-summary

!

All computers in RIP 2 network can see Core router, all computers in EIGRP network can see Core router, but they cant see each other. 

When I type show ip route it looks like EIGRP network can see RIP2 network, but not vice versa.

So it looks like EIGRP router and Core router learned all routes, but RIP2 router didnt. Obviously I messed something with redistribution.

Please help. Thank you in advance.

In attachment you an see how my lab looks like. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Try the below and changing everything over to RIP V2.

router rip
version 2
redistribute eigrp 1 metric 10

RIP has a maximum metric of 15.  So making the metric 14 means the routes will die one hop away.  Also without "version 2" RIP is classfull, so you may be munging the routes, depending on the prefixes being used.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Try the below and changing everything over to RIP V2.

router rip
version 2
redistribute eigrp 1 metric 10

RIP has a maximum metric of 15.  So making the metric 14 means the routes will die one hop away.  Also without "version 2" RIP is classfull, so you may be munging the routes, depending on the prefixes being used.

Thank you, I accidentally created two threads. You are right, I forgot to turn on RIP version 2 for Core router and that was the issue. As soon as I did set RIPv2 everything worked like a charm. Anyway, thank you very much.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card