cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Redundant Cabling

Justice918
Level 1
Level 1

First off i want to say not a networking guy so sorry ahead of time.  Here is the situation i am facing.

Switch a  has a fiber line and an Ethernet line running to switch B.  We want to have both lines up and running in the case of the fiber line getting broken " has happened once already " ..  The issue i am running into is as soon as i put the fiber line " the main line that is configured and currently passing traffic " into a channel-group i lose connection to the switch and no traffic is passed on either the fiber line or the Ethernet line. 

Below are the simple configs on said ports and switches that from a previous post was told would work " but isnt " 

Swtich A config     

interface Port-channel1

description uplink to 1st floor

!

interface tengigabitethernet 9/1

switchport trunk allowed vlan 1,70,71

switchport mode trunk

channel-group 1 mode on

!

interface GigabitEthernet 8/31

switchport trunk allowed vlan 1,70,71

switchport mode trunk

channel-group 1 mode on​

With the same commands being set on the respective ports of switch B 

Again as soon as the channel-group command is entered on the fiber port all connectivity is lost to switch A.

Any help is greatly appriciated.

Thanks in advance

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The problem is that you are putting a 1Gig interface and 10Gig interface in that Portchannel. In order for the Portchannel to work correctly, the speed and duplex of both interfaces must be the same. So, use 2 10Gig or 2 1Gig.

HTH

interface tengigabitethernet 9/1

interface GigabitEthernet 8/31

Hi Reza, 

Thanks for the quick reply.  From my understanding and some reading it should still be doable if i can set one as primary and the other as a secondary port.  Please correct me if i am wrong as well as i could be talking nonsense 

Reza is correct. All members of the Etherchannel must have the same physical speed.
Besides, there would be an error message when you put both interfaces into an etherchannel.

Hi,

You can't have a mix of different speed in a Portchannel. 

The physical interfaces could be copper or fiber but the speed of the interfaces need to be the same.

From Cisco config gude:

• Configure all ports in an EtherChannel to operate at the same speeds and duplex modes.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960x/software/15-2_2_e/layer2/configuration_guide/b_layer2_1522e_2960x_cg/b_layer2_1522e_2960x_cg_chapter_0100.html?referring_site=RE&pos=1&page=https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/la...

HTH

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card