cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Redundant connections config help

Justice918
Level 1
Level 1

First off i want to apoligize as i am not a big networking guy but somehow have been tasked with this project.   

We have a single connections going from each floor of our building to a central server room.  Each floor currently has a single fiber connection " connecting them" i have run Ethernet cable from each switch on said floor back to the core switch in our server room " same one that has the fiber connection running to it".  With that being said i have found some configs with the help of good ol google to try and stumble may way through this process but am stuck. 

below is a snip bit of the config that i have on the two devices and put onto the appropriate ports on said devices.  Any help is greatly appreciated as when i pull the fiber from one of the devices it does not fail over to the other Ethernet connection.  Thanks in advance .  

#this is added to the switch devices them self

interface Port-channel1

description uplink to 1st floor

switchport trunk allowed vlan 1,70,71

switchport mode trunk

#added to both fiber channels on each switch

interface tengigabitethernet 9/1

switchport mode trunk

channel-group 1 mode on

#added to both ethernet channels on both switches

interface GigabitEthernet 8/31

description uplink to 1st floor

switchport mode trunk

channel-group 1 mode on​

Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

actually you don't need to configure anything on the port channel interface itself. The below should be sufficient:

interface Port-channel1
!
switchport mode trunk
channel-group 1 mode on
!
switchport mode trunk
channel-group 1 mode on​

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Hello,

actually you don't need to configure anything on the port channel interface itself. The below should be sufficient:

interface Port-channel1
!
switchport mode trunk
channel-group 1 mode on
!
switchport mode trunk
channel-group 1 mode on​

Hi ,

Thanks for the help just to be clear those should be the only commands i need to get the redundant connection working.  just ensure that i apply the lines to the correct device / ports etc. 

Thanks 

Hello,

Exactly, that is all the config you need. Just make sure that you use the exact same config on both devices connected to each other...

Hello

@Georg Pauwen wrote:

Hello,

FYI - Due to possible inconsistencies it best practice for L2 Port Channel NOT to configured on the physical interfaces at all apart from assigning it to a Port-channel group

All the config SHOULD be performed on the logical port-channel which will then propergate that configuration down to the physical interfaces.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

So upon issuing these commands i now have lost connectivity to the switch that i am trying to build the redundant connection. Even after re-setting all port config to the original the switch will still not come back up / connect . Any advice my guy

Hello

@Justice918 wrote:

First off i want to apoligize as i am not a big networking guy but somehow have been tasked with this project.   

We have a single connections going from each floor of our building to a central server room.  Each floor currently has a single fiber connection " connecting them" i have run Ethernet cable from each switch on said floor back to the core switch in our server room " same one that has the fiber connection running to it".  With that being said i have found some configs with the help of good ol google to try and stumble may way through this process but am stuck. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance

Can you elaborate on the physical setup, it seems quite convoluted on what you are doing,
Note- you cannot have two separate switcha connecting into the same port-channel on the core, however you can have a switch connect to two separate cores switchs ( one virtual core) providing this is vss mec connection.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Switch A is on floor A .. Core switch is on Floor B   .  We have a single fiber line and a single ethernet line running to said core switch from Switch A.  Core switch ports used Fiber line in tengig 9/1 ethernet in gig 8/34 " for example "  on Switch A ports used fiber line  1/0/1  ethernet 1/47   - I will add after adding the lines from a previous answer my switch is fulling offline and im having a heck of a time getting it back online - even after putting all port configs back to their original config. 

Just a bit more info.  The fiber adapter on the switch that is down is showing no activity lights after adding the - channel-group ... on the core switch port that said fiber channel is going into.  

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card