Views
Helpful
Replies

Redundant Switch Trunks

RichDagsher
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I need help figuring out what kind of topology I should configure between two switches. My goal is to have a redundant trunk that all VLANS would pass over until the link is lost. Here is the situation...

I have a fiber trunk between two switches. In the event the fiber link gets cut. I have a wireless link that I would like to be the secondary trunk. I assume I would use STP here to handle the redundancies. However, whenever I see STP priority get configured. My apologies if my terminology is incorrect.  It's for one particular VLAN. Can someone point me in the right direction please?

To sum things up I'd like all traffic to go over my fiber trunk until the fiber link goes down. Then I would like everything to go over a Wireless link that I will configure to be a trunk. The Router that sits behind the switches is a Cisco 2911. Not sure if that can be utilized or not. I'm using OSPF routing protocol between my routers.

Your help is appreciated.

Rich

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello

you also have another alternative other than to rely on stp  - you could use a flex- link thus negating stp altogether and having specific primary and backup interfaces

So when you lose your primary interface the specified backup becomes active automatically and reverts back to a secondary if/when your primary comes back on line- Only down side to this would be you would to have all vlans traversing the same trunk. if your okay with that then flex is worth looking into

example

int x/x

description primary trunk

switchport backup interface x/x  ( backup interface)

end

sh interface switchport backup

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Larry Sullivan
Level 3
Level 3

You can do priority on vlans and just do the whole range of vlans "i.e. x-xxxx"

You can do port cost on the down stream switch.

You can do port priority on the upstream switch.

Okay great. I wasn’t sure it that was something I could do or not. Thank you for the input.

Hello

you also have another alternative other than to rely on stp  - you could use a flex- link thus negating stp altogether and having specific primary and backup interfaces

So when you lose your primary interface the specified backup becomes active automatically and reverts back to a secondary if/when your primary comes back on line- Only down side to this would be you would to have all vlans traversing the same trunk. if your okay with that then flex is worth looking into

example

int x/x

description primary trunk

switchport backup interface x/x  ( backup interface)

end

sh interface switchport backup

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Thank you Paul. I was unaware of this functionality. I think this is the way I'll go.

Kind Regards,

Rich

Hello

If any of these posts has assisted yu please mark them accordingly as to help others in the future

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi there,

I just wanted to know, do i need to configure this in my both end switch or only the main switch.

Thank You 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card