Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

reload switch who is root spanning tree

Hello and sorry for my english

I have to reload 3 switch who are stacked. 

My first question is : how to reload all the swich in stack in one command ? and how reload one by one ?

show switch detail
Switch/Stack Mac Address : 00da.551f.2f80 - Local Mac Address
Mac persistency wait time: Indefinite
H/W Current
Switch# Role Mac Address Priority Version State
------------------------------------------------------------
*1 Active 00da.551f.2f80 1 V06 Ready
2 Member 5006.ab9e.ae80 1 V06 Ready
3 Standby 5006.ab89.d000 1 V06 Ready

Second question : the switch stack is the root of the spanning tree of my network. If i reload the stack, there will be recalculation of spanning tree and trouble in all the switch of my network ?

Thanks

5 Replies 5

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello @Service Informatique ,

yes spanning-tree protocol will be impacted by stack reload.

For this reason ask for a maintenance time window to perfom the activity.

about managing the stacks read the following document

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12-2_58_se/configuration/guide/3750scg/swstack.html#59795

the following command reload a single member

reload slot stack-member-number

I think

reload  <enter>

alone should reload all the switch in the stack.

see with a question mark  reload ? if there is an all option.

At end of everything the stack should become again the STP root bridge.

Note:

you may want to increase the priority of the current master to 15 in order to increase the chance to be master again after reload

use

conf t

switch 1 priority 15

switch 3 priority 14

end

wr mem

Hope to help

Giuseppe

you may want to increase the priority of the current master to 15 in order to increase the chance to be master again after reload

use
conf t
switch 1 priority 15
switch 3 priority 14

that command is to increase the chance of the switch 1 in stack to be master again or to increase  the chance of the stack to be master and not other switch in LAN ?

thanks

the suggested command is to have the same switch with switch number 1 to keep the master role after reload.

switch numbers do not change across reloads unless you use commands for renumbering.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

yes but if i don't put this command and if i reload the stack, an other switch in network can become root of spanning-tree ?

thanks

well :

during stack reload another switch will become the STP root bridge, after the stack reload is completed the stack should become the root bridge again if the master does not change.

Check also if you have MAC persistency enabled for the stack see the document I have linked in my first answer in this thread.

if you have MAC persistency enabled the outer world will never see  a change in the master switch ID ( MAC Address will remain the same).

It is really important to schedule the change and advertise of possible issues caused by STP recalculations.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card