Views
Helpful
Replies

removing a switch from a Cisco stack 9200

marzi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all
I've a stack composed of four switches Cisco9200.
I need remove one of them.
Is there a configuration guide to do so ?
Probably the switch removed will be fourth, the last, but I think that it is better to have a guide in case the switch removed will be one in the middle of the stack.
P.s. any advice is wellcome of course

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi all

Actually, the customer ask me to remove the switch.

Thank you very much
Have a nice day

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

removing is the switch part of the stack as like (we do when the device fails. 

Since the Stack is Ring network with stack cable. ( if you are removing stack member)

Just turn off the switch you like to remove, remove the stack cable and replace it with a new one.

or if you like to remove stack of 4 to 3 ( different procedure) - hope that is not your intention.

Once new device put back in the network ( guidelines- model supported, same IOS running as other members)

Hope this makes sense?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello

The assumption is you have a full closed stack-ring:
1) power down the switch
2) remove the stack cabling from this switch and re-cable the exisitng stack so you again have a closed stack ring

3) un-provision the removed switch from the stack
no switch x provision ws-xxxxx

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi all

Actually, the customer ask me to remove the switch.

Thank you very much
Have a nice day

once you remove it from the stack, if you repurpose it, you will have to issue the renumber command, as it will still show int g4/0/x even in standalone mode. other than that, the preivous posts give good advice on removing it from the stack.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card