Views
Helpful
Replies

Removing switches from 3850 stack

robertkwild
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi all,

I'm removing two x2 3850s from a stack atm 7 switches in the stack, want to make it 5 switches in stack

Will this work

No switch 6,7

And then remove the stackwise cables and and power and then I can de rack the switches

Or do I remove stackwise cables first then issue the no switch commands

Thanks,

Rob

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes, as long as you are not taking down the master. If you are planning on taking down the master, you first want to promote another switch to master before taking it down. The link I posted has a section that talks about priority changes in case you need it. Again, I would not do any of these during business hours as things can sometimes go wrong.

HTH

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Removing Provisioned Switch Information

This optional task is available only from the active switch.

SUMMARY STEPS

1.    Remove the provisioned switch from the stack.

2.    no switch stack-member-number provision

3.    copy running-config startup-config

for more info follow this link:

https://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3850/software/release/3.2_0_se/multibook/configuration_guide/b_consolidated_config_guide_3850_chapter_01100101.html#task_D9842BED4F9A44A694C0FC29B964481C

HTH

But surely I want to run this command below before literally removing the switch from the stack ie power off the switch and de rack it?

As surely it won't delete the config of the switch if I remove it before?

no switch stack-member-number provision

You remove power then de-provision it. It will show the switches as unprovisioned if you do a "show switch" and will require a reboot of the stack to remove them completely.

1. Remove power/stack cables from switch being removed

2. Run no switch # provision

3. Copy run start

4. Reboot stack

OK so let me get it right...

De power both switches and take them out rack

If I do a "sh switch" it will list them but as not being there but still members

Run no switch provision on switch 6 and 7

Do cp run start

Re arrange stack/power cables in other switches

Before you do anything, make sure you have a good backup of the config. Also, I would do it during a maintenance window just in case something goes wrong.

You want to un-provision the switch (no switch stack-member-number provision) before disconnecting the stack cable and turning off the switch.  

HTH

So I was right I need to run command before I de power switches??

Yes, as long as you are not taking down the master. If you are planning on taking down the master, you first want to promote another switch to master before taking it down. The link I posted has a section that talks about priority changes in case you need it. Again, I would not do any of these during business hours as things can sometimes go wrong.

HTH

Once I issue the "no switch x provision"

Cp run start

Do I then pull out stackwise cables from the back of the switches I want to pull out and then reload the whole new stack by doing

Reload

Do I then pull out stackwise cables from the back of the switches

Yes

#no switch 7 provision
Error: A switch is already physically present at this location

ok done it, removed power/stackwise cables both from switches 6 and 7

did a "sh switch" and showed as removed, ran the "no switch x provision" on both switches and ran "sh switch" again and came back as unprovisioned

did a "wr" and all good

now can i loop the stackwise data cable from switch 1 to switch 5 or do i have to shut them all down to re insert the stackwise data cable back in switch 5?

all good!!!

since i issued a "reload" command on the stack, switch 6 and 7 no longer exist

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card