cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Renaming a flash: file with "?" as the filename

rand.hall
Level 1
Level 1

OK, in the process of doing a password recovery I somehow renamed config.text to "?"

As predicted, when I try to rename this back to config.text I get no further than

switch# rename flash:?

at which time IOS is kind enough to help me out by spilling out a directory listing of flash:

Any ideas on how to rename that file? Is there some why of disabling command line help/completion?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

rand.hall wrote:

OK, in the process of doing a password recovery I somehow renamed config.text to "?"

As predicted, when I try to rename this back to config.text I get no further than

at which time IOS is kind enough to help me out by spilling out a directory listing of flash:

Any ideas on how to rename that file? Is there some why of disabling command line help/completion?

Try typing ctrl+v before the question mark. crtl-v should act as a backslash which makes the ? a literal character which should stop IOS trying to interpret it as a special character.

Jon

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

rand.hall wrote:

Try typing ctrl+v before the question mark. crtl-v should act as a backslash which makes the ? a literal character which should stop IOS trying to interpret it as a special character.

Jon

Thanks for the tip Jon (+5).

The \ was the solution. THX 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card