Views
Helpful
Replies

Replace 9500-40X switch from working SVL

mauricio2099
Level 1
Level 1

Hello people. 

I was asked to purchase another 9500-40X-A to replace a defective unit which has a broken SFP incrusted forever into one port. The current stack is a pair of 9500-40X-A running SVL and looking to replace the defective unit, the Standby of the SVL. Wondering how to and with minimal impact.

on the switch I have these 2 configuration lines:

switch 1 provision c9500-40x

switch 2 provision c9500-40x

1) Upgrade new 9500-40X-A to the same version that the stack has.

2) Configure SVL: domain, virtual links and DAD, using same ports than the defective Standby unit

Now here comes the replacement

3) Power off current defective 9500 switch.

4) Remove cables for virtual links and DAD

5) Rack switch and connect cables for virtual links and DAD to new switch

6) Power on switch

Questions:

0. Is this correct or I am terribly confused. Maybe it is not as easy as I think.

1. Is the new switch going to take the configuration smoothly replacing switch2 ?

2. Do I need to reboot the whole stack ?

Thanks for your help

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@mauricio2099 wrote:

2) Configure SVL: domain, virtual links and DAD, using same ports than the defective Standby unit

Now here comes the replacement

3) Power off current defective 9500 switch.

There are several 9500 VSS bugs, when doing a failover, the failover unit will crash.  

Make sure to have TAC on the call when the failover to the secondary unit is being conducted.

lagerplane
Level 1
Level 1

Your steps look good, This DOC below has the steps and some additional verification commands.

Replace a Supervisor Module or Stack Member of Catalyst 9000 in HA

Replace a Member of the C9500 StackWise-Virtual

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/interfaces-modules/catalyst-9600-series-supervisor-engine-1/216193-replace-a-supervisor-module-or-stack-mem.html#anc25

Since you mentioned "The current stack is a pair of 9500-40X-A running SVL and looking to replace the defective unit, the Standby of the SVL" then you would want to skip the step from the document that says "If active switch needs to be replaced, perform a failover to Standby switch and wait for standby to take over active's role. (Skip this step if you are replacing Standby unit)."

1. Is the new switch going to take the configuration smoothly replacing switch2 ?

Yes, once the new Switch joins the SVL as Standby then it will get the config from the Active Switch.

2. Do I need to reboot the whole stack ?

No, since you mentioned "The current stack is a pair of 9500-40X-A running SVL and looking to replace the defective unit, the Standby of the SVL", then you would work only with the Standby Switch. However, make sure to check if all devices that connect to the SVL are dual-homed before you power off the Standby Switch.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card