Views
Helpful
Replies

Stackwise Virtual Cat9K - Member replacement

lauresfrank
Level 1
Level 1

Dear community,

we have 2x 9606R in a Stackwise-Virtual.

What is the best practise if one switch fails and needs to be replaced by a new factory default switch?

1) What needs to be configured on new replacement switch before connecting and power on? SVL Link and DAD Link only, then connect and power on? Or push the complete config to startup-config, connect and power on?

2) Will it take the config of active SVL member after joining and delete own config in case there is a config?

3) Do I need to "activate" the smart license on new replacement switch before joining Stackwise-Virtual (license level must be same? in case I have network advantage in place and network essentials is on new replacement switch) or doesnt this matter?

Is there a replacement manual like there was in the past for VSS? With google I could not find something similar.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-6500-virtual-switching-system-1440/109334-replace-vss-sup-proc-v1.html 

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I follow the below steps - high level.

1. Hopefully, the partner switch already failed, so there is only 1 switch in StackWise.

2. you already have configuration backup done out of the box.

Once a new kit or RMA arrived at to site.

1. check all the hardware and supervisor the same as active.

2. bring the IOS same version as Active.

3. register to smart net License same as failed one, contact license team if you have any issue so they can change the serial number for you.

4. configure basic config StackWise Virtual config offline ( write the config)

5. connect the SVL and DAD Link ( do not connect any other links, so you can minimize the risk here)

6. Power up the new switch ( so it will detect parent switch or partner switch to form a StackWise virtual.

7. make sure you connect the console cable both the switches and collect all the logs for reference. (in case if required to diagnosis the issue)

8. high level you should not see any downtime here ( be cautious, then do this in a maintenance window.

9. once SVL formed and working as expected, then you can connect Data ports for resilience for the end devices.

I hope this makes sense?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I follow the below steps - high level.

1. Hopefully, the partner switch already failed, so there is only 1 switch in StackWise.

2. you already have configuration backup done out of the box.

Once a new kit or RMA arrived at to site.

1. check all the hardware and supervisor the same as active.

2. bring the IOS same version as Active.

3. register to smart net License same as failed one, contact license team if you have any issue so they can change the serial number for you.

4. configure basic config StackWise Virtual config offline ( write the config)

5. connect the SVL and DAD Link ( do not connect any other links, so you can minimize the risk here)

6. Power up the new switch ( so it will detect parent switch or partner switch to form a StackWise virtual.

7. make sure you connect the console cable both the switches and collect all the logs for reference. (in case if required to diagnosis the issue)

8. high level you should not see any downtime here ( be cautious, then do this in a maintenance window.

9. once SVL formed and working as expected, then you can connect Data ports for resilience for the end devices.

I hope this makes sense?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Thanks, I'll check it out. My key takeaways are:

- Bring replacement switch to same license level before (re)joining stackwise virtual.

- On replacement switch, configure domain,SVL,DAD link offline and save. Power off, connect SVL+DAD link, then power on and switch should join stackwise.

Thank you.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card