Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Replace a failed SUP on 6500 Sup32

Hi All,

I have been tasked to replace a failed sup on a 6500 Sup32 running IOS. Now, the primary sup doesnt have a compact flash. I don't have any CF on me. The  replacement sup i received also doesnt have a CF.

From the cisco website it says that the moment I insert the secondary sup into the chassis. it will automatically download the IOS and boot details from the primary to the secondary sup.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_tech_note09186a008085a6d3.shtml

Is this still valid??

So, if for example the IOS doesnt get copied from the primary to the secondary upon insertion.how do I copy the IOS from the primary sup to the secondary sup once I insert the secondary sup in. Would the below command be valid?

copy 

sup-bootdisk:/s3223-advipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-33.SXI5.bin slavesup-bootdisk:sup-bootdisk:/s3223-advipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-33.SXI5.bin

Also, what are the things that happen when you insert the secondary sup into the chassis. I have noticed that it doesnt have the concept of a slave disk etc. Does it show the slavedisk commands once it detects there is a standby card?? This is the first time I am replacing a sup on the 6k

The options that I see when I do a dir are below as of now.

/all             List all files

/recursive       List files recursively

all-filesystems  List files on all filesystems

bootflash:       Directory or file name

cns:             Directory or file name

const_nvram:     Directory or file name

disk0:           Directory or file name             

flexwan-fpd:     Directory or file name

null:            Directory or file name

nvram:           Directory or file name

sup-bootdisk:    Directory or file name

sup-microcode:   Directory or file name

system:          Directory or file name

tar:             Directory or file name

tmpsys:          Directory or file name

|                Output modifiers

#sh redundancy

Redundant System Information :

------------------------------

Available system uptime = 1 day, 17 hours, 9 minutes

Switchovers system experienced = 0

Standby failures = 271

Last switchover reason = none

Hardware Mode = Simplex

Configured Redundancy Mode = sso

Operating Redundancy Mode = sso

Maintenance Mode = Disabled

Communications = Down      Reason: Simplex mode

Current Processor Information :

-------------------------------

Active Location = slot 5

Current Software state = ACTIVE

Uptime in current state = 1 day, 17 hours, 8 minutes

Image Version = Cisco IOS Software, s3223_rp Software (s3223_rp-ADVIPSERVICESK9_WAN-M), Version 12.2(33)SXI5, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport

Copyright (c) 1986-2010 by Cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Fri 22-Oct-10 14:31 by prod_rel_team

BOOT = sup-bootdisk:/s3223-advipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-33.SXI5.bin,12;

BOOTLDR =

Configuration register = 0x2102

Peer (slot: unavailable) information is not available because it is in 'DISABLED' state

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

1 Reply 1

Arumugam Muthaiah
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Kishore,

The image synchronization feature of applicable on Catalyst OS which provides software consistency between supervisor engines. This allow for software to be upgraded without taking the system offline for an extended period of time. To perform the upgrade, the active supervisor engine requires a supervisor engine reset to load the new version of software. It will then synchronize the software images to the standby supervisor engine.

Also note that the MSFC Cisco IOS Software is not a part of this synchronization process

I can see that you are running IOS image on the supervisor 32 and config SSO as redundancy mode. When you insert the supervisor 32, In these redundancy modes, the active Supervisor Engine checks the image version of the standby Supervisor Engine when the standby Supervisor Engine comes online. If the image on the standby Supervisor Engine does not match the image on the active Supervisor Engine, the software sets the redundancy mode to RPR while a software upgrade is performed, and sets it back to SSO when the software upgrade is complete

Verify that the Cisco IOS image required for the upgrade is on either Supervisor Engine bootflash (sup-bootdisk: and slavesup-bootdisk:), or on the CompactFlash card (disk0: and slavedisk0:) of both the Supervisor Engines.

Yes, the command you mentioned is right way to copy sup-bootdisk:<image name> slavesup-bootdisk:<image name>

copy tftp slavesup-bootdisk: or copy sup-bootdisk: slavesup-bootdisk: command in order to download the image to the Supervisor Engine bootflashes. Or, issue the copy tftp disk0: command first, then the copy tftp slavedisk0: or copy disk0: slavedisk0: command in order to download the image to the CompactFlash cards.

• Ensure that you set the boot system with right image

Example:

Cat-6509(config)#boot system disk0:s3223-ipbasek9-mz.122-18.SXF6.bin

• Verify the boot statement

Example

Cat-6509#show bootvar

!--- This verifies the modified boot statements.

BOOT variable = disk0:s3223-ipbasek9-mz.122-18.SXF6.bin,12;
CONFIG_FILE variable does not exist
BOOTLDR variable =
Configuration register is 0x2102

Standby is up
Standby has 983040K/65536K bytes of memory.

Standby BOOT variable = disk0:s3223-ipbasek9-mz.122-18.SXF6.bin,12;
Standby CONFIG_FILE variable does not exist
Standby BOOTLDR variable =
Standby Configuration register is 0x2102

Note: The configuration register in the startup-config must be set to autoboot (0x2102)

• Save the configuration changes
  • Reset the standby Supervisor Engine.

# hw-module module # reset

• Verify the redundancy status.

Refer:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_configuration_example09186a0080a98f3c.shtml

Regards,

Aru

*** Please rate if the post is useful ***

Regards, Aru *** Please rate if the post useful ***
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card