cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

replace module of Catalyst 6509

rsychow1
Level 1
Level 1

My company has 2 catalyst 6509 and was configured as VSS. And then there is a spare unit of Catalyst 6509 with old configuration. I have cross check the version of 48-port inline cards, 8-port 10Gig module and 720 supervisor engine.
Since my company does not want to buy Cisco smartnet, instead, they perfer to make use the spare unit for any replacement in case of any hardware failure.
I have questions of replacing modules as I am the only one to take care of this.
When 48-port inline card failed, let say, 2 out 3, do I just pull out the failed inline card and replace the one from spare unit? According to Cisco, it's suggested to erase configuration of spare part first and then plug into the production unit. Is this step necessary? after inserted the spare incline card, do I need to configure it or it will be automatically get configuration from supervisor engine?
I would be appreciated if someone could share their experience.

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As long as you are replacing the old/bad card with the exact same card, there is no need to erase anything.  Also, make sure to  put the new card in the same exact slot so you don't have to change any config. From example; if the bad card is in slot 3 make sure to put the new card in slot 3 as well.

Once the new card is inserted, the chassis should recognize the card automatically.

HTH

Thanks Reza! In your example, I can pull out an inline card from slot 8 of spare 6509 and put it to slot 3 of production 6509 for replacement since the inline card in slot 3 was failed. Please correct me if my understanding is wrong.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card