Views
Helpful
Replies

Replacing a faulty switch from a stack with a brand new blank one

DGFtw
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm new to Cisco switches - but somewhat familiar with Alcatel switches.

We have a 2 switch stack of identical C2960X switches. One of the switches died and was sent away under warranty, we have been given a new, but completely blank replacement.

I understand I will first need to ensure the firmware is matched on the two switches.

My question is, how do I set the second one up to match the current master switch? I have a backup of the running config of the master switch, but I don't think I should put this straight onto the new switch, it would have a different IP for a start. I (think i) understand that once connected, the second switch should be replicating from the first one. So, how far do I go with setting the blank one up before I just plug it in and let it replicate?

I am expecting to at-least go through the initial setup.

Also, should I name it, and give it the same IP address of the old switch that was removed?

Thank-you in anticipation,

DG

15 Replies 15

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you have failed switch in the stack - another switch might have become master and have all the configuration.

show version gives you what is the version running in the exiting version. (make sure you have a backup running-config out of of the box )

1. New RMA switch connect console and upgrade software version matches as other one live

2. renumber the switch and priority and write the configuration.

3. turn off the device

4. connect the stack cable with an exiting live device  - do it in a maintenance window.

5. Turn on and check the logs connecting the console cable to master switch.

Once the device boot, it automatically joins the stack group

Standard document for reference adding switch or replace the switch in the stack :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/troubleshooting/switch_stacks.html#wp61772

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi BB,

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post.

Correct - the master switch is still active and has the configuration.

To confirm, do I still need to carry out the initial setup on the new switch? or could I just write the configuration from the master switch?

Am I safe to name it identical to the old faulty switch? and also use the same IP?

Thanks,

DG

If the master switch already lives and has configuration, you replacing the switch same mode as Faulty one.

Just switch to make sure you do write, do the basic, switch number and priority of the new switch (upgrade or auto-upgrade option available - I prefer to upgrade to correct version and add to exiting stack for safer side).

you do not need any IP address for the new switch you adding, since you have a master switch already has all the configuration.

BB

Deepak Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Here is a simple guide for the same:

1) software auto-upgrade enable Run this command on the existing stack and new member as well.

2) On the new switch gives the global command: switch stack-member-number provision type

Example: switch 3 provision c2960x-24p

3) Power off the new stack member

4) Connect the new member to the existing Cisco stack using the stacking cables, 1 loop at a time. 

5) Connect Console cable on the new stack member & monitor the booting process.

6) Power on the new stack member. The switch will come alive and will receive the Cisco IOS version from the master, when that is completed it will be ready to service network requests.

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!

Hi Deepak,
Thank you for responding to my post.
When I try to run that first command on the new switch by entering config terminal, it says 'invalid input detected at ^ marker (pointing at the 'f' on 'conf'). If I try to run the command without entering config terminal, then it also comes up with the same error. Do you think I need to go through the initial setup first?
Thanks,
Danny

Hello
Before you do anything cross-check your running switch stack and see what mode it is running in, it will either be in

Install mode (recommended) or bundle mode also do the same to the new switch
sh version
Both the stack and the new switch need to be in the same mode, if they are not then you need to change the new switch to running mode of the switch stack as these modes are incompatible with each other.

Now you have two ways of doing this manually or automatically- Note: automatically can only be achieved if you already have auto-upgrade activated on the switch stack.

Also if they are in the same mode but have differant software versions again it would be best you upgrade the new switch to the same IOS version before you attach the switch to the stack making sure you upgrade the new ios on the new switch to the correct mode again this can be done automatically if you have auto-upgrade activated on the stack.

So to summrise
Install mode = expands the .BIN file and installs .pkgs files and boots from packages.conf file
Bundle mode = boots from .BIN file

Lastly to manually install a ios from bundle mode to install mode, download the .BIN file to switch flash
1) rename exiting package.conf file in flash of new switch  -  rename flash:packages.conf packagesOLD.conf
2) Expand .BIN file in flash   request platform software package expand switch x file flash:new.bin auto-copy
3) change boot variable to boot to the newly install packages.conf file
no boot system
boot system flash:packages.conf
write mem
4) reload new switch
5) check to see new version -- show version
6) if all is good perfrom a clean up on new switch  - request platform software package clean switch x
7) renumber swtch to that of the failed switch - switch x renumber x
8) shut down new switch and then physcally attach to switch stack and power up

For install mode to install mode
1) download the .BIN file to switch flash
2) rename exiting package.conf file in flash of new switch  -  rename flash:packages.conf packagesOLD.conf
3) install new ios request plaform software package install switch x file flash:new.bin
 autocopy
4) change boot variable to boot to the newly install packages.conf file
no boot system
boot system flash:packages.conf
write mem
5) reload new switch
6) if all is good perfrom a clean up on new switch  - request platform software package clean switch x
7) renumber swtch to that of the failed switch - switch x renumber x
8) shut down new switch and then physcally attach to switch stack and power up

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

LOL  -

just noticed your switches are not 9K cats so disregard the previous post looks like you missing a digit so i am assuming your switchs suppose to say 2960x?

I will leave my comments it in there for anyone who seeks a upgrade procedure for 38xx or 9x00 switches

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi Paul,

I'm really sorry, you are correct - it was a typo, it should say 2960x.

Should I disregard your previous post in that case?

Thanks,

DG

Hello

Yes please do as the stack upgrade process and boot modes for the 3K, 9K switches are different to the 2960x switchs.

Anyhow are you getting on - what is the status ofyour new switch?

Kind Regards
Paul

Ah okay, apologies again for that.

A little stuck on the auto-upgrade command actually, which I understand will synchronize the firmware when adding the new one to the stack. I understand I need to enter config terminal before I enter the 'software auto-upgrade enable' command. If I enter 'config terminal' or the software upgrade command, then I get the 'invalid input detected at ^ marker' error. Do you know if I am able to carry out these commands without running through the startup wizard?

Thanks,

DG

Hello

does the switch have the same iOS as the stack?

Kind Regards
Paul

*cleared as duplicate*

Personally i do not believe stack member has capabilities upgrade master switch IOS.

The best suggestion is if you like Master switch to be same as a new stack member, upgrade both of them and join to stack.

But make sure new version you read the release notes and caveats before upgrade both, if your Master switch old one stable and working in your environment, suggest keeping the same version, until your set goal to upgrade for some bug fixes.

BB

No unfortunately not, it's a newer version - but I'd rather just downgrade the version to match the master, than upgrade the master (master is in production). I read that it should auto downgrade.
I wasn't able to get FTP working because I think I'd need to run the initial setup and assign it an IP etc.. do you know if that's the case?
Thanks,
DG
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card