Views
Helpful
Replies

Replacing loan Cisco 2960 switch with Meraki MS225

shawnkst
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

I have a loaned Cisco 2960 48P stacked that I am suppose to swap out with 2x 24port Meraki MS225 and 1x 48port Meraki MS225 switch. This is the first time I am handling this in my new environment but I am guessing this is what i should be doing? Appreciate if the more experienced network expert could point me along the way

I have copied out the config from the Cisco 2960 and I am assuming i need to stack all the 3 MS225 switches so they act as 1 single switch? does it matter which switch should I paste the configure into?

4 Replies 4

Hello
As far as I am aware (unless it has changed) you will need to manually create the configuration you will not be able to copy & paste from the 2960 to the MS switches.

Meraki devices are configured via a centrally managed internet GUI based dashboard , which you connect to and create your own organisation & networks, This can even been done prior to even receiving any physical hardware through registration of your procurement. here

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

pieterh
VIP
VIP

your Meraki switch/stack should register itself at the Meraki cloud, (if internet access is available)

you can manage the stack from there instead of a physical switch

a stacked switch has a common configuration (like a single management-ip address)
individual ports can be managed using portnames like Gig<member>/0/<portnum>

Ruben Cocheno
Spotlight
Spotlight

@shawnkst 

You can stack all MEraki 225 switches, but you have to provision manually all configurations on the Meraki Dashboard. Now to make your job less painful, you can do it all almost via API using the Meraki repo https://github.com/meraki

Tag me to follow up.
Please mark it as Helpful and/or Solution Accepted if that is the case. Thanks for making Engineering easy again.
Connect with me for more on Linkedin https://www.linkedin.com/in/rubencocheno/

shawnkst
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

I have already registered the Meraki switch and it is appearing on my Meraki dashboard, I have not setup the stacking yet. Am i right to say there isn't much choice in exporting or moving the existing configuration over (unless via API and I have to do this manually through the Meraki GUI) I have 1 more question. The current Cisco 2960 48x2 are stacked together. I have been given 2 x MS225 24 port and 1x MS225 48 port by my boss. (could have make my life better by just giving me 2x MS225 48port) I can only stack the 24 port together and leave the 48 port standalone, So I guess I have plan out the interface GE port configuration correctly given the config i export from the Cisco 2960 is based on a 48port stacked.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card