cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Replacing Sup-7E with Sup-8E on a Cisco 4510R+E

DanCBan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all, I'm working with replacing a customer of ours' Supervisor modules on a Cisco 4500E. 
The customer has existing Sup-7e modules, but we need to upgrade them to Sup-8e modules as it supports additional 10G interfaces. I've been googling throughout the day, and found that the 4500e supports hotswapping of modules, but is this the case when replacing the modules with newer modules as well? I presume there is some necessary config that needs to be performed. 
Has anyone here had any experience with replacing the supervisors? 
The following information is what I've gathered thus far:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/hardware/configuration/notes/OL_29676.html
https://supportforums.cisco.com/t5/lan-switching-and-routing/replace-sup-6-e-with-a-sup-7-e/td-p/2561035

Any hints or additional input regarding this would be greatly appreciated. 

EDIT: Updated title of post to include correct Model information.

11 Replies 11

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@DanCBan wrote:

The customer has existing Sup-7e modules, but we need to upgrade them to Sup-8e modules as it supports additional 10G interfaces. 

Be very, very careful.  Not all chassis can support Sup8.  Post the complete output the command "sh idprom chassis".  

Sup8 requires a chassis version of 2.0 (aka Hardware Revision).  

If the Hardware Revision is not 2.0 then Sup8 won't work but the newer Sup9 might. 

Hi Leo! As far as I've seen in the compability chart, the Sup-8E is fully compatible with a 4510R+E. My bad not including that vital information. Here's the compability list I've used:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/hardware/configuration/notes/OL_29676.html

I will disagree with that document.  

Go HERE and read it.  Sup8 requires a Hardware Revision of 2.0.  If the Hardware Revision is 1.1 then Sup8 won't be supported, HOWEVER, Sup9 will.

Still doubtful?  Raise a TAC case.

Hi again Leo, this is the note documentation for the requirements if you have a 4507R-E chassis:

Identifying Hardware Revisions on the Switch Chassis

The Cisco Catalyst 4507R-E Switch chassis that has hardware revision 2.0 or higher supports Supervisor Engine 8-E. Before you install Supervisor Engine 8-E on the Catalyst 4507R-E Switch chassis, enter the show idprom chassis privileged EXEC command on the existing switch chassis to know its current revision number.

The following is a sample output of the show idprom chassis command on a Catalyst 4507R-E Switch. Note the “ Hardware Revision ” field here is “ 2.0 ”.

This again supports the documentation I linked to:

Chassis slot restrictions

• Catalyst 4503-E: Slot 1 only
  • Catalyst 4506-E: Slot 1 only
  • Catalyst 4507R+E: Slot 3 and slot 4 (redundant supervisor engines supported)
  • Catalyst 4510R+E: Slot 5 and slot 6 (redundant supervisor engines supported)
  • Catalyst 4507R-E 1 : Slot 3 and 4 (redundant supervisor engines supported)
  • Catalyst 4510R-E: Slot 5 and 6 (redundant supervisor engines supported)

Bandwidth per slot

48-Gbps

1.The Cisco Catalyst 4507R-E Switch supports Supervisor Engine 8-E only on chassis that have hardware revision 2.0 or higher. Contact your Cisco customer service representative for more information.

As this discussion is regarding replacement of two old SUP7-E with SUP8-E modules on a 4510R+E, the hardware revision doesn't seem relevant. It would be weird having that note being relevant for all chassis models, and only mention the 4507R-E. However, as you mentioned; I will raise a TAC with Cisco to get this confirmed.

Hi Dan, 

Saw your post, I am also going through similar scenario; could you please share your experience. As Sup 8e are no more available we will be replacing it with refurbished 8e sup card to keep our business running. 

Regards,

Himanshu

Hello,

We are also planning on replacing the existing 7e to 8e on the 4510 Chassis without any downtime. Can you please share your upgrade process and experience?

Thanks,

Usha

@chemudupaty wrote:

We are also planning on replacing the existing 7e to 8e on the 4510 Chassis without any downtime.

Supervisor card replacement/upgrade, without any downtime, is not possible.   There will be an outage. 

Hi Usha,
To replace sup you need the downtime. Take backup of config in a USB drive,
then remove 7e sup (if you have redundant then remove both sup) insert SUP8
and copy the configs from USB. (make necessary changes in configs as per
new sup)
HTH
Himanshu

Hi Himanshu,

Thank You. I have 2 sup modules in the chassis and was wondering if I can have 8E put in along with existing 7E, not sure if I can have 2 different sup modules?

Thanks,

Usha

Hi Usha,

No you cannot have different sups.
AAlso make sure to verify the hardware revision no... it should be 2 or
higher.

RRegards,
Himanshu

@chemudupaty wrote:

I have 2 sup modules in the chassis and was wondering if I can have 8E put in along with existing 7E, not sure if I can have 2 different sup modules?

No, it is not possible and I will even guarantee it will do some serious network damage &/or unstable network.  

When I mean "network damage", I mean the config being imported to the Sup8E will have some problem or some line cards might get damaged with this stunt.  

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card