cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

reset 2960 to factory defaults without mode button

pcwhyte14
Level 1
Level 1

I have reviewed the website and have been unsuccessful resetting my Catalyst 2960 switches to factory default using the mode button. It appears to be working but upon reboot it still retains the configuration. I am currently checking if I can use the 2955 procedure to break startup sequence but so far I am not having any luck. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

3 Replies 3

Hello,

how do you do the reset ? If you hold the 'Mode' button for more than 10 seconds, it will restore factory defaults, and erase the configuration. If you hold it for 3 seconds, it will go into ROMMON, from there, you could erase the 'config' file in flash...

I was following the steps from this webpage....

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-2950-series-switches/12040-pswdrec-2900xl.html

I have tried the steps several times and it always reboots with a console password. I am unable to get around the console password. Over the past few days, I have successfully complete the steps on three other switches but I have two that will not reset.

K@yT
Level 1
Level 1
  • Step 1.- Connect your console cable and power up the cisco switch; then, hold down the MODE button for a few seconds until the initialize prompt appears on the screen.

• Step 2.- Once you see the prompt, enter the following command: flash_init.

• Step 3.- Now, list the files in the flash directory and delete config.text and vlan.dat from it.

• Step 4.- Re-bot the switch, and it will launch the 'System Configuration Dialog', when the restoration is complete.

Tip: You can also restore your cisco switches configuration by copying the text file configuration and then pasting it to the command line.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card