Views
Helpful
Replies

Root bridge in Transparent mode

M Talha
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

I am facing a scenario where one of my catalyst 2960 switch has become a root bridge of all the vlans in the network environment. Secondly this particular switch is in transparent mode right now. Apart from that i have two other core switches which i have made Root primary and root secondary for all the vlans. My concern is that should i be worried about this 2960 switch which has been a root bridge of all the vlans or the transparent mode would be enough to manage this switch not to become a problem of vlan overalpping.

Regards,

Talha

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Correct. That should not be an issue since the switch is in transparent mode.

Good Luck!

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

As long as you are not running vtp or the mode is transparent, you should not see any vtp vlan issues. 

As for 2960 being the root, you may want to figure out what caused it and make the core switches the root and backup root.

HTH

I have made my core switches as Root and backup root now and they are in server mode, but i believe this 2960 switch in transparent mode wouldn't create a trouble for as long as in this mode.

Correct. That should not be an issue since the switch is in transparent mode.

Good Luck!

Thanks a lot Reza Sharifi for the help and support.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card