Router(config)#route-map test permit 10

Router(config-route-map)#match ip address 10

Router(config-route-map)#match ip address 15

Router(config-route-map)#set local-pref 150

This configuration would translate simply to

Router(config)#route-map test permit 10

Router(config-route-map)#match ip address 10 15

Router(config-route-map)#set local-pref 150

The resulting configuration is a logical OR, basically identical to the second example you have posted.

In a route-map, Cisco IOS does not allow to perform an AND operation between the matches of the same type, i.e. it is not possible to configure a match for both ACL 10 AND 15.

Best regards,

Peter

Hi Peter,

I beg to differ,

As per Cisco Doc for Route-map operations:

A match or set command in each clause can be missed or repeated several times, if one of these conditions exist:

If several match commands are present in a clause, all must succeed for a given route in order for that route to match the clause (in other words, the logical AND algorithm is applied for multiple match commands).

If a match command refers to several objects in one command, either of them should match (the logical OR algorithm is applied). For example, in the match ip address 101 121 command, a route is permitted if it is permitted by access list 101 or access list 121.

If a match command is not present, all routes match the clause. In the previous example, all routes that reach clause 30 match; therefore, the end of the route map is never reached.

If a set command is not present in a route map permit clause then the route is redistributed without modification of its current attributes.

Regards,

Smitesh

Hello Smitesh,

I am glad you asked because frankly, I was mistaken in the same way earlier.

I know that if multiple match statements are located in a single route-map block, all of them must match, i.e. this is a logical AND. However, entering multiple match statements using the same match object (i.e. ACL) will result in all ACLs being placed into a single match statement, resulting in a logical OR.

In other words, you can not achieve a route-map to contain, for example, multiple match ip address commands because even if you enter them multiple times, each time referring to a different ACL, the IOS will silently "collapse" all these commands to a single match ip address command containing all ACL numbers.

Best regards,

Peter

Peter,

This is interesting and I've wondered this also. So, is what you're saying that the logical OR comes into play when you have multiple entries in a single acl and a logical AND is when you have multiple acls?

Thanks!

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Hi Peter,

+5 for this very interesting info.

Regards.

Alain.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

+5 Peter. I tested this because I've always had a little confusion when the AND operator came into play. Thank you!

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Hello John and Alain,

Thank you both very much for your kind ratings!

Just to remove any ambiguosity, I'll reiterate a little here: multiple standalone match statements in a single route-map block are possible only if they refer to different kinds of tests, e.g. ACLs and interfaces (think NAT using route-maps for two different ISPs matching both ACL for internal IP addresses and the egress interface). However, when trying to add a couple of match ip address statements, even though each of them refers to a unique ACL number or name, the IOS will nevertheless collapse all these statements into a single match ip address statement. That is why they become logically OR-ed - because the IOS puts them into a single match ip address line even though each ACL was originally input as a separate and standalone match statement.

I remember trying to respond to a thread some two months ago from now where the poster tried to use the continue clause in route-map for PBR purposes. This is not supported, sadly. I suggested at that point using multiple match ip address commands in a single route-map block to achieve the same result. However, as it turned out - and somebody corrected me back then - this was not possible. I asssumed I can make a logical AND between two ACLs by referring to them in different match statements. Sadly, IOS does not support this - it collapsed the configuration into a single match statement, spoiling my attempt at helping

Best regards,

Peter

+5 Peter...

Had to do it to understand what exactly you meant...

However, can you share what if one wants AND operation... Will he be using different sequence number to obtain the same ??

Regards,

Smitesh

+5 Peter for this awsome info

I tried to lab test and achieve AND by using two test conditions (ACL and community-list) in two match statements in a single route-map instance.

Works like a champion!!

I sent community 1000 from one BGP router and on neighbor added route-map on inbound

R2#sh ip community-list

Community standard list 10

permit 100

Community standard list 11

permit 1000

R2#sh route-map

route-map TEST-RM, permit, sequence 10

Match clauses:

ip address (access-lists): 11

community (community-list filter): 10

Set clauses:

metric +400

Policy routing matches: 0 packets, 0 bytes

route-map TEST-RM, permit, sequence 11

Match clauses:

ip address (access-lists): 11

community (community-list filter): 11

Set clauses:

metric +500

route-map TEST-RM, deny, sequence 20

Match clauses:

Set clauses:

R2#sh ip bgp
BGP table version is 7, local router ID is 192.168.0.2
Status codes: s suppressed, d damped, h history, * valid, > best, i - internal,
              r RIB-failure, S Stale
Origin codes: i - IGP, e - EGP, ? - incomplete

Network          Next Hop            Metric LocPrf Weight Path
*> 172.16.0.1/32    192.168.0.1            500             0 10 i
*> 172.16.1.1/32    192.168.0.1            500             0 10 i

+5 Peter... really helpful information...

+5 very intresting and informative !

Cisco Docs are full of discrepancies; I would not believe or trust them;

Trust but Verify is my motto;

Hi Martin,

I agree but please, if you find discrepancies, report them. I do it often, and it helps. And please do care of sharing your experiences here - it is much appreciated!

Best regards,

Peter

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card