Views
Helpful
Replies

Route multiple VLANs through single port

dpatino02
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a series of 3560g's setup. I am going to be connecting two of them between different offices via a fiber cable. I use 3 VLANs and am unable to find a way to make this work.

Each site will have 5 switches. 2 for VLAN1, 2 for VLAN2, and one that has VLAN1-3 on it. Is it possible to link the two sites together with the single cable in a manner that allows the two connected to route the 3 VLANs through this one cable?

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Yes you can.  You need to make the connection between the sites a trunk port so it can carry all the vlans.

example:

inter gi0/0

switchport

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk enca dot1q

HTH

Alright, thanks. I'm a bit of a novice with configuring these situations. So I make each of the ports a trunk port, but then how does the switch know which VLAN to pass traffic to when it gets to the other switch?

All VLANs are allowed by default in a trunk link, in your case, you must create the same VLAN on both switches if you're not using a VTP server.

Regards.

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Just to clarify, only the ports, on the link between the switches, are defined as trunk ports.

By default, each switch will send all its defined VLANs to the trunk port.  If both switches have the same VLAN, those VLANs will become logically one.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card