cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Routed Interface

a17j13j05
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 6509 with a WS-X6748-GE-TX (48 port 10/100/1000mb Ethernet) module. I am trying to convert one of the ports from a switchport to a routed port.

I have issued the following commands:

(config-if)# no switchport

(config-if)# ip address 10.xxx.xxx.xxx 255.255.255.252

(config-if)# no shutdown

After that it still shows as a if it were a switchport in Vlan 1

I even tried to set the interface to its default settings and reenter the interface commands:

(config)# default int gX/X

(config-if)# no switchport

(config-if)# ip address 10.xxx.xxx.xxx 255.255.255.252

(config-if)# no shutdown

Still I can't get the port to act like a routed port, I also tried it on  another port thinking maybe I have a bad port, still no luck...am I missing something here?

Thanks

Andy

5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As long as it take the IP address, the port is in routed mode.  If the port is in switchport mode, it will not take the IP address.

HTH

Andy

Perhaps you can explain to us what you are seeing that makes you think that the port is still in the vlan 1? What behavior are you looking for that acts like a routed port that you are not seeing?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

ALIAOF_
Level 6
Level 6

I concur with Richard, what do you get when you do "show interface status".  You should see that port showing up something like this:

Port      Name               Status       Vlan       Duplex  Speed Type

Gi1/0/12                     connected    routed       full   1000 10/100/1000BaseTX

a17j13j05
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks to those who responded.

The port is working correctly now, and I wish I could say why, but I have no idea. I disconnected the cable to test it and the ports at both ends with my Fluke. Everything checked out fine, plugged it back up the way it was and darned if it didn't start working.

I am clueless as to what the problem was.

Thanks

Andy

Andy

Thanks for letting us know that it started working. It is too bad that we do not have a good explanation of why it was a problem and why it started working.

I have seen situations where something on an interface sort of got out of sync with something else and things did not work right. Then sometimes a disconnect and a connect would get them back in sync and it started working. Perhaps your issue was something like this.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card